Green tint with hobbicolors

hpnetserver

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Jonalava, your scaner is indeed strange to make one scan obviously too blue but not blue at all to the other. There is no similarity there. If your scanner is very inaccurate then your images are only misleading but not helping. Have you tried to swap other cartridges in addition to Magenta? The answer to the problem may be just there to reach once you sawap them. What do you mean by the more you test the less sense it makes?

My experience in using Hobbicolors ink has been completely perfect. I probably have repeated about it too many times. The HC ink on my 8500 is simply flawless and great performer. The prints beat OEM in many side by side comparisons by family members and friends. In a period of one year long I probably only needed to execute cleaning cycles no more than a dozen times. This tells how robust the ink works on my 8500. Oh well, enough said....

Oh, one more thing here. Does anyone know if Weink's RC-52 ink for Canon is MIS ink?

jonalava

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Dave replied to my email and was, as usual, really helpful and offered the best service! He first tried to analyse my bad scans and wasn't able to make any conclusion from those. He asked me to send the actual prints, which I did, in exchange of a new set of ink. He wants me to try the new inks (made for IP4200, IP5200, etc.). Maybe I will get better results. Anyway, even if this new ink doesn't fit my needs, I would never hesitate to recommend Hobbicolors for the great service provided by Dave!

Also, many thanks to Neilslade for his new batch of tests. I really have to try those G&G carts. I found those for about 4$CAN at www.piloshop.ca.

I will post again when Dave get my prints.

SCSI

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I am not trying to hijack this post but I just installed Hobbicolors on my MP780 and the printed images are reddish. Blacks have a red tint to it. Anyone experienced this before?

drc023

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-100, iP8720, MG6220
Can you provide a little more info? What paper and what paper settings are used, is the print grayscale or from color photos?

Did you make sure that the pigment ink was only used in the larger BCI-3 tank and not in the BCI-6 photo black tank? Another possibility is that either the yellow or cyan cartridge isn't feeding enough ink which would result in too much magenta being used when printing composite black.

SCSI

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I am using Staples photo glossy supreme paper and printing color photos with photo paper pro setting. It looks like there are many small red dots on the black surface. It could be caused by paper type incompatibility since the reddish tink is lessened when choosing photo paper plus glossy setting. I will try and replace the yellow ink with a canon ink when I have the time.

hpnetserver

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Isn't this another example of overfilled symptom? Does it look like red (or magenta) ink spilled (leaked) on top of black? Do a nozzle check and see if there is any banding, cross contamination of color or anything else. The Photo Paper Pro setting is best for the Canon Pro pepr but it is said to be not the best setting for other brands of glossy paper. It will use Canon specific profile for the Pro paper. That profile may not be suitable for your Staples paper. But even that is not the reason behind the problem. I would look for possible leak or overfill causes.

SCSI

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice hp. I did a nozzle check and everything is fine. I don't think it's the overfilled symptom. After comparing the Canon and HC printouts to my monitor, I noticed that HC printout matched better what is on display than the Canon inks. The original image itself is reddish. After performing a manual color balance in Photoshop, lessened cyan and yellow, the printout matched the canon ink printout . Increasing only just the magenta will also match a canon printout.

Can anyone please share their printer color balance settings with hobbicolor inks?

Correction on my post regarding color balance: I got my info backwards. I was actually decreasing magenta which will be towards green. Or increase both cyan and yellow by sliding the settings to the left.

neilslade

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I found the same thing regarding Canon versus cheapo G&G-- Canon skin was a bit magenta and pink, G&G was actually more accurate.
But its always a trade off, Canon reds are nice and deep, the G&G a tinge less so-- so its all what you want.

I don't know where the Hobbicolors come from, but I had similar problems with Procolor-- really green bias. I don't see any need to use these inks that are so far off, when others that work better are available for the same price.

Neil

see my shootout of various aftermarket inks compared
http://www.neilslade.com/Papers/inktest.html

Osage

Printer Guru
Reaction score
To Neil Slade,

Hobbicolors is a fairly recent ink that has entered the Canon refill market. It has gotten very good reviews on very close to Canon OEM color balance. With many posting hobbicolors is in the same league with MIS and formulabs. That and the fact that hobbicolors offer very inexpensive virgin BCI-3&6 cartridge blanks with a screw seal ink inlet hole has gained them a very large following on this forum.

Which is exactly why jonalava's post has created much interest. Because its somewhat of a lone ranger with almost no one else reporting the same problem.
So the question becomes on the reported green tint, is this due to hobbicolor ink, or due to just one or more possibly badly feeding cartridge(s)?--with magenta a prime suspect. In a better controlled conditions, some of questions could be tested systematically, but the supply of alternate cartridges is presently lacking. Also not helping is the scanner jonalava is using--which even jonalava reports as not rendering correct color.

Right now, the problem has been kicked back to hobbicolors via snail mailed comparison prints between MIS and hobbicolors output. And at present we are still awaiting these results from hobbicolors. Which even then may not answer the question about a possibly badly feeding cartridge(s). Its possible that only a totally new ink samples and new cartridges will ever get close to answering if this is a persistant problem or just a one time defect with Jonalava's ink, paper, and printer combination.------with the jury definitely still out on this question.

I see you completed a new ink shootout----and I for one am quite impressed. And there is absolutely no doubt that you have way more than paid your dues at this forum-----which is why I am so aware that asking you to do any more sounds so arrogant to even my ears in exactly a henny penny way. But I do note that some testing on your part of hobbicolors inks---under the same conditions as the other inks in your recent ink shootout may go a long way towards answering hobbicolors color balance questions. And to be honest about the degree of difficulty, I also note there are now two hobbicolors ink blends---one to match the Canon BCI-3&6 cartridge line and another recently added to match the inks used in the chipped Canons--the chromalife 100 inks.--which Dave at hobbicolors claims have a wider color gamut.

Should you decline to include or test hobbicolors, I will certainly understand. You have done more than enough already.

Tin Ho

Print Addict
Reaction score
I have been reading this forum for a while. Just get myself registered. I feel like to send a message over.

G&G is a Chinese manufacturer of cartridges. It does not make ink. It buys ink from the Chinese market and used the ink in the cartridges they sell. They may have ink of brand A today but brand B tomorrow. The ink they sell in the US market may or may not be the same in their cartridges. The ink may be great one day but may be something else the next day. Their cartridge has shown an example of being good one day and near garbage the next. There have been many user reports of G&G spongeless cartridges being problematic. Yet major 3rd party retailers all sell them in the US market despite frequent complaints from customers.

Epson recently launched a law suit against G&G for patent infringement of spongeless ink cartridges. It has been speculated that G&G will not contest the legal challenge from Epson. They may be on the way out of the market.
The future of G&G is mostly awaiting further development. It is interesting that Epson would use its might against a problematic brand with problematic products.

Is G&G ink really that good? No. G&G does not make ink. There is not such a thing as G&G ink. The question should be is G&G brand ink really good? Well, it is as good as Chinese ink. There is really nothing wrong about Chinese ink. Most compatible ink cartridges use Chinese ink. MIS, Weink or Alotofthings all the same. It doesn't take a genius to figure out if the cartridges are made, prefilled and packaged in China with a Chinese name such as skyhorse the ink is most likely made in China as well.

Glad to be here. You guys are great. Good night folks.

Tin Ho