Grayscale printing with Pixma iP3000

Ote

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I ran out all my colors because there was a problem with the blue ink (which affected all the colors, as it left light/dark lines throughout); it did not affect the black ink. I would like to be able to continue using it with black ink only but in a grayscale mode. Is this possible? And if so, how do I set this up?

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
Tell your printer you are printing on plain paper and select the High Quality printing mode. Do not use duplex printing or borderless.

Ote

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
ghwellsjr said:
Tell your printer you are printing on plain paper and select the High Quality printing mode. Do not use duplex printing or borderless.
I don't see anywhere to select "Plain Paper" or "High Quality". (Even if I did, I can't imagine that this would work!) However, I do see where you can select "ColorSync" and "Quartz Filter: Gray Tone", which sort of works, but not as well as I'd like.

Duplex printing on a Pixma iP3000? How?

Tom Hock

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I started to have a similar problem with my Canon i850, and since I also have a Canon 900D set up as a second printer I decided to use the i850 only for black (grayscale). I removed the three color ink tanks and installed three cleaning tanks in their place. Maybe in time the cleaning tanks will correct the faulty color printing. Just did this today and all seems to work fine. I set the "preferences" to grayscale and the "quality" to standard.

The cyan tank would drain quite fast and the other tanks were being contaminated with the cyan. I suspect the purge unit may be faulty and the sponge where the printhead parks is saturated causing the inks to flow from the tanks and mix. The printhead itself seems clear but if the purge unit is plugged up the cleaning flud in the cleaning tanks may clear it in time. In the mean time I'll just use it for black text printing, which is 80% of my printing anyway.

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
Ote said:
ghwellsjr said:
I don't see anywhere to select "Plain Paper" or "High Quality". (Even if I did, I can't imagine that this would work!) However, I do see where you can select "ColorSync" and "Quartz Filter: Gray Tone", which sort of works, but not as well as I'd like.

Duplex printing on a Pixma iP3000? How?
Depending on the application you are using, you may have to go to Printer Setup and click on the Properties button. On the Main tab you will see selections for Greyscale printing, plain paper, and high quality. For duplex printing go to the Page Setup tab.