Getting started with refilling a Canon MP830

JoshC

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I ended up buying a new set of inks for now. After this set is empty then I will try refilling.

snwright

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Hope this topic isn't totally dead...
I have an MP830, and like the original poster, ran out of ink quickly and wasn't about to drop a gazillion dollars on new cartidges every week. So i went and bought some refill kits from inkjetcartridge.com. They're made by InkTec. They were really easy to use, but the printer has a hell of a time seeing how much ink is left in the cartridges after I've refilled them. It keeps on saying "the level of the following ink cannot be correctly detected" or something, i think it's error message U130. Sometimes I just press "OK" and it dismisses the warning, but other times it'd damn persistant, and it can be a real pain in the ass when you really want to print something. Today was one of those days... eventually I held down the "Stop/Reset" button for 5 seconds and it dismissed the first message, but then there was another for a different cartridge, etc.
Eventually I got it to work, though.
To answer Stubri's question, it prompts you erratically. It ususally prompts you when you start up the printer, and between 1/3 and 2/3 of the time when you try to print.
No question about it, it's a pain in the ass. But I'm glad I did it, cuz I sure can't afford the obscene prices that canon charges for new cartridges.
spencer

pourhaus

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
So, this is heading in an all new direction now.

I did som ewindex last night, found that the printer did not always "do it's thing" when I closed the top, so I was powering off and on. I was also pulling the power cord with the print head away from the purge pads, because I forgot that lifting up the lever to remove the print head would stop it from timing out and returning.

I came in this morning, powered up, and:

1. Printer has set it's language to (I think) Japanese
2. It is reporting "U180", and indicating the PGI-5BK cartridge is the issue

So, any ideas on how I reset to English? Should I load my last genuine Canon PGI-5BK?

[oops, this was meant for my original thread...]

tigerwan

Printer Guru
Reaction score
That is an ink level not detected error, the chip may be no good, have you a chip resetter? is it that the LCD language has changed? If so you can choose the proper language using the user manual instructions, if it is the actual print out that is in another language then you need the reset codes from a service manual.