German method failing - ink always spills out

OM2

Printer Guru
Reaction score
I'm having trouble refilling my MP640
I'm trying to rescue the print head and have done many cleans (that's another story)
So, I have to refill the ink carts

When I refill, at least 3 of the 5 carts spill ink out
I am really really careful, but nothing seems to stop it
Ink comes out of the main nozzle, but worse it comes out through the air vent

From past posts, I've been told I need to blow out when this happens to make sure there is no ink drying up and blocking this passage

The only thing I can guess is that there is air in the chamber?
Perhaps I should suck the air out before refiling?
(Just thought of this as I type now!)

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Omar

Spitfire

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Hey,

You may have damaged your cartridge, do you have this problem with all of them or just one in particular?

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
I think the cartridges need flushing. When you inject ink into the ink chamber during a German method refill, it is important that the air can escape through the sponges and the vent. If air does not escape, the ink chamber will be pressurized, and the result will be messy.

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
OM2 said:
When I refill, at least 3 of the 5 carts spill ink out
I am really really careful, but nothing seems to stop it
Ink comes out of the main nozzle, but worse it comes out through the air vent
Ink coming out of the main nozzle (presumably with the cartridge right side up) indicates one of a couple of things:

1. You haven't got the needle inserted far enough into the cartridge to reach the spongeless section
2. The end of the needle is up against something that is blasting the ink back into the spongeless section
3. There's an additional hole somewhere above the sponge section that's allowing air into the cartridge and allowing the ink to just drip out.

As for the ink coming out of the vent this generally happens when the sponge is saturated and would seem to support the theory that the needle isn't going all the way into the spongeless section.

Just as an aside Omar, I've a feeling you left a message at some point asking for help on some of these things, that I didn't respond to due to holiday/family or other crazy stuff. Wasn't deliberate, just dropped out of goldfish memory until now... I think...

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
Hi OM2

Check out pharmacist's instruction for refilling PGI-520/CLI-521 cartridges with the German method. Link here: http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=26249#p26249 It is a very good instruction. Specially note pictures 6 and 7 showing proper insertion of the 2" needle and stressing the importance of injecting the ink slowly. I recommend the use of a thin needle 21g, color code green. This helps insure ink is injected slowly.

I would suggest using this method, and later when you have made this method work well go on to the SquEasyFill bottles.

I have made a scan of a CLI-521 C cartridge with the 2" needle properly inserted, it might be a bit easier to see proper needle insertion:

6881_2_inch_needle.jpg

I have not experienced the leaking you describe, but I have had problems with cartridges being underweight after a German method refill. After a flushing and drying of the cartridge it refilled properly again. Maybe your problems are also caused by sponges needing a flushing?

OM2

Printer Guru
Reaction score
guys, thanks for the replies
websnail said:
Ink coming out of the main nozzle (presumably with the cartridge right side up) indicates one of a couple of things:

1. You haven't got the needle inserted far enough into the cartridge to reach the spongeless section
2. The end of the needle is up against something that is blasting the ink back into the spongeless section
3. There's an additional hole somewhere above the sponge section that's allowing air into the cartridge and allowing the ink to just drip out.

As for the ink coming out of the vent this generally happens when the sponge is saturated and would seem to support the theory that the needle isn't going all the way into the spongeless section
i definitely have the needle inserted all the way
actually, i withdraw 2mm - there is a small plastic part that blocks i find

the needle isn't against anything - so nothing there (visible) to blast back

additional hole? well... i'm not sure about that. i have the same problem with 3 cartridges form this printer, but also have an mp640 where i also have the same problem with at least 2 cartridges

sponge saturated? maybe. i don't know. i refill when the visible ink chamber is empty or nearly empty
lets say the sponge is saturated - does that matter if the chamber is empty at the same time?

websnail said:
Just as an aside Omar, I've a feeling you left a message at some point asking for help on some of these things, that I didn't respond to due to holiday/family or other crazy stuff. Wasn't deliberate, just dropped out of goldfish memory until now... I think...
i can't remember myself :)
ur always great when giving help. we all miss emails and giving replies

PeterBJ said:
Check out pharmacist's instruction for refilling PGI-520/CLI-521 cartridges with the German method. Link here: http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=26249#p26249 It is a very good instruction. Specially note pictures 6 and 7 showing proper insertion of the 2" needle and stressing the importance of injecting the ink slowly. I recommend the use of a thin needle 21g, color code green. This helps insure ink is injected slowly.

I would suggest using this method, and later when you have made this method work well go on to the SquEasyFill bottles.

I have made a scan of a CLI-521 C cartridge with the 2" needle properly inserted, it might be a bit easier to see proper needle insertion:

http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/uploads/6881_2_inch_needle.jpg

I have not experienced the leaking you describe, but I have had problems with cartridges being underweight after a German method refill. After a flushing and drying of the cartridge it refilled properly again. Maybe your problems are also caused by sponges needing a flushing?
thanks for the reply - much appreciate
as far as i can see, i am actually following the pharmacist instructions - that's where i learned originally

i've looked closely. the needle is exactly where it should be. i can see the ink coming out and being pushed back into the sponge chamber without dropping into the chamber

i think what might help is if i shoot a video next time i refill to show u guys. i can't believe i'm doing something wrong!

EDIT: i seem to have found a solution anyway. i'll still send in a video for u guys to look at.
i suck the air out first and then refill. this seems to work nicely with no ink coming out
my guess is the cart is full of compact air and you can't push the ink in
so...... does this mean that the air vent might be blocked?? what damage could this do?

can someone give me a link to instructions for flushing out ink carts?
(not being lazy - there's one too many guides on the net + i've seen plenty of guides on youtube. i'd rather read and learn something u guys recommen)

thanks

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
OM2 wrote:
EDIT: i seem to have found a solution anyway. i'll still send in a video for u guys to look at.
i suck the air out first and then refill. this seems to work nicely with no ink coming out
my guess is the cart is full of compact air and you can't push the ink in
so...... does this mean that the air vent might be blocked?? what damage could this do?
This indicates to me that the sponges and/or the vent are clogged and that the cartridges need flushing and drying before they are refilled again. Normally it would be impossible to pressurize the ink chamber or create a vacuum in the ink chamber. Air would pass through the vent and the sponges.

A clogged cartridge will cause inkflow problems, and could also damage the printhead, as a steady flow of ink is needed to cool the nozzle heaters.

One way to flush the cartridges without opening the sealed topfill hole is to inject lots of water into the ink chamber using the German refill method, causing water to exit from the ink outlet and the vent. When water runs clear and when what can be seen of the sponges is white or almost white the cartridge is flushed. Remove as much as possible of the water by injecting air into the cartridge, and dry the cartridge using ghwellsjr's paper towel method: http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=5382

It is easier to flush the cartridge if you remove the sealing ball, but then you will have to reseal the cartridge perfectly, or the cartridge will leak. In my opinion the low profile plugs plus aluminium tape sold by both websnail and mikling will provide a reliable seal. But I chose the German refill method to avoid having to tamper with Canons sealing of the cartridges.

turbguy

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i960, Canon i9900
You don't think that adding another hole in the sponge side doesn't "tamper" with Canon's sealing of the cart?

Wayne

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
turbguy wrote:
You don't think that adding another hole in the sponge side doesn't "tamper" with Canon's sealing of the cart?
You are actually right, but the hole made for German refill does not cause leaking, and just to be safe I seal it with aluminium tape.

turbguy

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i960, Canon i9900
PeterBJ said:
turbguy wrote:
You are actually right, but the hole made for German refill does not cause leaking, and just to be safe I seal it with aluminium tape.
In my experience, I've CONSISTENTLY experienced leaks from that hole, and switched back to top filling. Perfect sealing the top-fill hole is really a no-brainer with the small silicone plugs available.

Wayne