German Durchstich refill method for Canon carts with pictures

rcl

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
121489.jpg

I have seen this alternative Durchstich thread mentioned before, it makes the hole at the top instead of the bottom.

http://www.druckerchannel.de/forum.php?seite=beitrag&ID=121489

Unfortunately I can't read German, but the idea makes sense to me. I think this method has zero chance of leaks and you don't have to use tape on the Durchstich hole, if you make the hole above the sponge like the other Canon airholes.

Could anyone comment on this method? I wish I could read the German thread but unfortunately I can't.

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
One caveat with the alternative method: the needle is forced to make a sharp bend at the end when you enter the ink compartment and will severely wear out the needle or the syringe. When you try to enter the compartment the needle the bending will push the sponge material down and this may impair the degree of absorption. So at the end it won't have any advantages over the standard durchstich method.

Why are you guys still afraid of ink leaking out with the durchstich method ? Thousands already have used this method and nobody is complaining from ink leaking out from this refill hole. If you don't trust this autobalancing refill method I would suggest the "normal" refill method by drilling a hole over the ink compartment and make sure to seal it very well or the cartridge will run out inside the printer.....

I always get stained fingers using the standard refill method by drilling a hole over the ink compartment. Somehow ink does run out from the ink outlet everytime even I do seal it well with the orange caps with elastics. At the end I converted to this german refill method and to me: this is the superior method and the cleanest one.

yupkime

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I agree with Pharmacist, no ink on my fingers anymore ... :)

Poking a hole just a couple of mm from the bottom works great.
Sometimes you have to poke it a few times to make a straight groove path to the ink chamber.

But it is basically a fool proof method.
Thanks again to the German guys who started it! Hope they read this forum! :D

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
In my opinion, the reason to cover the refill hole with tape is not because you are concerned about ink leaking out, it's because you are concerned about the daily air pressure cycle pumping the humid air inside the cartridge out of the cartridge and replacing it with dryer air. The serpentine air path at the top of a Canon cartridge is there to make sure that the ambient air that is pumped in and out of the cartridge remains in the serpintine air path and does not exchange with the humid air inside the cartridge. This would be more of a concern with a refill hole that starts near the top of the cartridge than one that starts near the bottom.

headphonesman

Printer Guru
Reaction score
For me the geometry of the "top hole " method is the main drawback. The "bottom" distance is 4 cm to the entrance to the reservoir , the "top" distance is 5 cm. My needle length is 5 cm. This means that 1 cm protudes into the reservoir tank , which is preferable to "waiting at the doorway" with the "top" method.

I agree with the "top" route may compromise the sponge structure. I have not had any problem with leaving the botton hole unsealed.

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
Enough masters have had positive results with the "standard" German refill method, and there have been so few complaints that I'm beginning to figure: "if it ain't broke, don't fix it."

avolanche

Print Addict
Reaction score
I've been using the German method with hole at the bottom.I see no reason whatsoever to put it higher.I have never had a leak from this hole.As stated,the geometry is a problem with a higher hole and makes getting the tip of the needle into the reservoir much more difficult.

I think I would try the so-called American method(hole on top....not high on end....needle slides down beside divider) before making the hole high on the end.But the German method as typically used is GREAT!I see no reason to alter it.

avolanche

Print Addict
Reaction score
Deptacon said:
Pharmacist,

Is it possible that you could post detailed photo instructions like these on your purge/flush method that you use with this refill method? Thanks a lot for the instructions here...I just ordered a refill kit and I am going to give it a try.
Is this what you are looking for?How to purge...link: http://www.nifty-stuff.com/canon-BCI-6-cartridges.php