Genuine Canon bulk pigment ink ? Will it fit ?

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
There are no sponges in these cartridges; I'm using a strong and long blunt needle which I push in one of the holes to suck out the ink with a syringe, and a second needle to let air to get into it. It requires a little bit of practice.
Here is another offer - gray - 130 ml for 17,99€, but you need to monitor the availability , not all colors are available all the time; I have seen expired cartridges on Ebay Germany, Austria and the U.S but I don't know where you are . I never had problem with such inks.
https://www.ebay.de/itm/284410090239?hash=item42382992ff:g:MugAAOSwYB5hGBNy&amdata=enc:AQAHAAAAoB8XqJIdbxYFd6uh2oJiK2ljS/jvOEyU0/o/mLhTmiVGpUj4PBgzFlDq2Xxxk+dnWxN/GDSQdTUAAn1Mc/+/j8Ze8hoAKUhuNc0VrwyO/k6pzpE+E1AsjknYAFOn0tubvtf9jH5HDCL17kopKCjBpc6zEq8Mu91B9adi1akJD/UA1f2j8mITRmCRx2wPgDaRgeQ13gpqEEw8Th5BEWEC8T0=|tkp:Bk9SR7LWtfHyYA

It's the Lucia ink in this case which has been filled up in various cartridge sizes.

Last edited:

photog-art-printer

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
HP
Thank you for sharing your expertise.
Great that I was able to ask experts, and learn my original idea was the result of a manufacturer lying about a product.

P.S. During the night, the theme of removing ink from a cartridge with sponge interrupted my other dreams:

The solution appears (to me) to be simple:
1) Drill a hole (if necessary) in the donor cartridge .
2) Connect to air compressor (already have one or two of these). A screw in inlet wouldn’t be difficult to make, and probably isn’t required.
3) That’s it. Air entering the top will force ink out of the bottom. A second hole would be a simple solution if the ink refuses to exit easily.
4) Mo compressor? Don’t feel like drilling?
Blowing may do the trick.
This week I played with a HP document printer… that I refilled for next to nothing.
Because it had emptied itself, it refused to print.
Cleaning cycles didn’t work.
Blowing through the refill hole certainly got things moving, and covered me with ink.
It solved the printing problem.
Therefore, a few puffs of breath through the top hole may be enough to empty stubborn cartridges.
Wear gloves!

photog-art-printer

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
HP
Sorry. my compressed air scheme isn’t necessary because:
… “no sponges in these cartridges “.

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
Oh well - there are different ways to get the ink out of the cartridge - if you position the needles correctly inside the cartridge and turn it upside down the ink just can flow out of the needle

Artur5

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150,Pro10s,i3Mk3s+,Voron2.4
@The Hat, it seems that your fading test with GI.-56 inks (and the crappy Lidl paper..;)) made you change your mind about using OEM on the Maxify. I don’t share you opinion in this matter.
My reasons :
First, I’ve been using cheap black pigment ink on my Canon Pixmas for many years without fading issues and I’m convinced that third party pigment of minimal quality doesn’t fades nearly as much as third party dye ink, in spite of what several fading tests might say.
Second and more important, because I use this ink to print pdf files, manuals, books and so on. Those documents aren’t hanged on the walls but stored on shelves/drawers away from UV light and air oxidants, In these conditions even the cheapest dye ink lasts for years.

In short, the fading properties of pigment inks used for general purpose printing is the least of my worries, Provided that the ink doesn’t damages the printhead and the output quality is good, I’m contented.
Canon GI-56 inks won’t last as long as Lucia, if the print is exposed to light and ozone, but they won’t damage the printhead or clog the nozzles and this is good enough for me. That said, I’m still using Inktec on my Maxify and I won’t swap to GI-56 till there’s a single drop left, because I’ve had no issues with Inktec either.

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
that third party pigment of minimal quality doesn’t fades nearly as much as third party dye ink, in spite of what several fading tests might say.
There is no conflict with your statement - recent fading tests and references to test reports deal with OEM inks , I have not done recently any fading test with 3rd party pigment inks. @The Hat 's test deals with an GI-56 Canon OEM ink which is not of the Lucia type, it is a kind of Canon no name ink. I'm not aware of other tests which runs Lucia or Ultrachrome inks agsinst 3rd party pigment inks - InkTec or ConeColor or Precisioncolors or OCP or whatever brand. And if you run OEM dye inks - Claria or Chromalife 100 - against OEM pigment inks the dye inks may even lead.
And there is another aspect - user expectations - that's just fine when you are happy with your inkset currently in use.

Artur5

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150,Pro10s,i3Mk3s+,Voron2.4
I made no rigorous tests, but my own experience tells me that photos printed two or three years ago with third party pigment ink (Octoinkjet) and my Pro10 show no evident signs of fading, even if they're hanged on a wall unprotected and exposed to air/light, This is not the case at all with photos made with third party dye ink with my Canon Pro-9000. Those would last only three-four months before showing ugly fading.

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
Yes, I would expect it like that, 3rd party dye inks won't give you much fun with your prints over the long run

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
1) Drill a hole (if necessary) in the donor cartridge .
:clapYep that will work for pouring out... You do need to allow air in to allow the ink to exit though. For this I use a sharp needle with a long piece of tubing attached as a sort of vent chimney. You make sure the end of the vent tube is about a foot or more above where you'll hold the cartridge so you don't get ink pouring out of that instead of air being drawn in. Oh and the needle gets poked into the ink outlet (on PFI-706 carts they have two rubber inlet plugs that you can plunge the needle into).

2) Connect to air compressor (already have one or two of these). A screw in inlet wouldn’t be difficult to make, and probably isn’t required.
:th:hide
Erm... Hell no! Trust me you'd be cussing all the way to the home decoration store while getting weird looks at your new skin colour scheme. I know you've already discounted this idea but I figured I'd make it crystal clear for anyone following this thread later on.