Genuine Canon bulk pigment ink ? Will it fit ?

photog-art-printer

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
HP
In case anyone is interested, I found this information today.

My search was for original OEM pigment ink (to possibly be used in a Canon TA-20).
Haven’t yet decided on which 24” printer to purchase, but have concluded third party inks are a waste of time (for my specific requirements).
Based on my project, OEM inks are necessary. My thoughts are: OK … that’s fine, but let’s try and reduce the costs.
The TA-20 uses PFI-030 cartridges.

My question to this forum was/is … Will Canon original pigment ink … intended for another printer work in this cartridge?
During my research, I came across this new product. It’s supposed to be a Canon pigment printer, uses cheap bulk ink, apparently designed to print photos.
I’m all ears …. waiting for comments.
Quote:

“Canon Introduces Its First Pigment Based Refillable Ink Tank Printers to Meet High Volume …. The MAXIFY GX7070 and GX6070’s pigment ink bottle system delivers low-cost colour and monochrome prints without compromising on the quality

… run on large ink tanks and high-volume ink bottles to significantly reduce ink costs …. pigment inks …. Refillable Ink Tank. …”

Source: https://sg.canon/en/consumer/first-...ank-printers-high-volume-colour-printing/news

In case anyone wishes to read the specs:

https://sg.canon/en/consumer/maxify...category=printing&subCategory=inkjet-printers

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
These bottled inks will most likely print, I don't see a problem why not, but you refer to your 'specific requirements' - what are those? These bottled canon inks don't have a name and are not the same Lucia Pro inks which are used in the series of Canon Photo printers starting with the Pro-300, Pro-1000 and up. You may need to use specific icc-color profiles for your ink/paper combination for best color output.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
The MAXIFY GX7070 and GX6070’s pigment ink bottle system delivers low-cost colour and monochrome prints without compromising on the quality
I tried the Maxify pigment inks 56 bottles, and no they are not the same as standard OEM pigment inks, they have the same tendency of 3rd party ink to fade, so no cigar..

Try the carts from the larger printers, like the Pro 2000 and upwards to maintain quality..

photog-art-printer

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
HP
“'specific requirements' - what are those? These bottled canon inks don't have a name and are not the same Lucia Pro inks”

Information. Thank you!
Most important = not the best ink?

Specific requirements are selling at high prices …. and don’t wish to provide something that will fade and cause complaints

photog-art-printer

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
HP
I tried the Maxify pigment inks 56 bottles, and no they are not the same as standard OEM pigment inks, they have the same tendency of 3rd party ink to fade, so no cigar..

Try the carts from the larger printers, like the Pro 2000 and upwards to maintain quality..
You wrote “same tendency of 3rd party ink to fade”

So …. just plain misinformation from manufacturer. Why would they mislead customers?

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
So …. just plain misinformation from manufacturer. Why would they mislead customers?
To get you to buy their inks instead of 3rd party.. It’s all about ink sales…
I wouldn’t have known myself till I ran a fade test..

Last edited:

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
It's all marketing speech but Canon does not make any specific claims for this or that ink - all inks will give you beautiful colors, a pleasant look bla bla bla

You may scan @The Hat 's detailed test here

https://www.printerknowledge.com/threads/canon-black-ink-fade-test.15442/page-2#post-136400

with the conclusion that 'these Canon 56 pigment bottle inks are as poor as any 3rd party pigment ink.'

You see - these are different properties - the ink will print - no issue - but the longer term ink performance does not match with the genuine Lucia pigment inks in the Pro-1000, Pro-2000.
The Lucia (Pro) inks are available in various cartridge types like the PFI-105 or 305 , the last digit indicates the color, the first digit indicates the cartridge size - 1 equals for 100-150 ml - 3 for 350 ml . You can find these inks at reduced prices if the date code is expired, but I never had problems with those.

photog-art-printer

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
HP

You wrote “Try the carts from the larger printers, like the Pro 2000”

First look indicates similar price …. about 1 Euro per milliliter.

Correct cartridge = 50 Euro per 55ml (Amazon)

Larger 70ml cartridge = 74 Euro per 70ml

photog-art-printer

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
HP
“expired cartridges”

That’s better … 0.36 per ml!
Thanks for the info.

My next question is …. If it’s the same IEM ink, but in a different cartridge, will it just pour out? Or is the ink trapped in sponges?