Full disclosure of printer addiction + discussion on next steps

Manuchau

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Why not do what I do occasionally. Find a good charity or cause that you really support - one which does some good for our planet and donate it to
them. You will keep your printers from going to the trash heap, and your efforts will be appreciated. Recycling is good!!

Unless you really need the $$$$, of course..In any case, I'm sure you will make the correct decision.....

Tin Ho

Print Addict
Reaction score
The message of wrong cartridge is a poor English translation from Japanese that means wrong print head. It really tells that the print head is not identified as a correct one. It happened to my cousin's MP780 recently after she soaked her print head for a while. This happened after her trip to Alaska for more than a month. I ordered a new print head for her. The printer returned to normal after installing the new print head. The Canon tech support on the phone did tell me that it could be a problem on the printer side. The print head can not be returned if that is the case. My cousin believed that it is the print head that is defective because she soaked the print head. I don't know how she did it but she got the wrong cartridge message.

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
Donating to charity was atop my list, but I'm concerned that without packaging and software the printer may just be discarded. Also, I wouldn't donate it unless I was sure it worked... and in that case I'm still back to having to put the new head into the printer.

I guess either way the i860 body is going to the trash since I'll either be selling the print head as new or putting it into the MP-750.

Anybody want a free i860 without a printhead :D

yupkime

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Just like a new car that drives off the lot, the value of the printhead drops like a rock as soon as it is opened up. :)

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
fotofreek said:
hold on to those old bci-6 printers for ever! I'm using an i960 with one replaced printhead and my wife is using an ip5000. I have a brand new ip5000 on the shelf in the original sealed box and another i960 that has had lots of use and MAY still be OK - cleaned and dried the printhead and put it with the reserve ip5000. For text docs I now have an HP 3005 that handles card stock and envelopes really well and has a mulitple sheet aux feed tray and multiple sheet paper exit tray in the back for straight paper path. No more printers needed for at least a few days. With separate scanner, copy machine, and fax I don't need an AIO.
A follow-up post on finding easily refillable Canon printers. To add to my collection I did buy a hardly used ip4500 with full OEM carts some months ago, cleaned the printhead, and stored it for the time when my bci-6 printers are all dead. Also was given an ip5000 with spare factory sealed printhead by a friend who hardly used it and doesn't need it any more.

What I really want to note, however, is that SF bay area Craigs list posts for the generations of printers I prefer have totally dried up!

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
I think I am beyond the term hoarder.

Printers currently on hand.

EPSONS:

Artisan 725 - being used
R340 - being used
R380 - being used
R800 - ( New in box )
R1900 - ( Two of them ) both being used
Photo 1400 - ( two of them ) both being used - one color and one ALL Black System
Stylus Photo 2200 -being used
R2000 -being used
R2400 -being used
R2880 -being used
PRO 3800 - being used ( a second one coming )

CANONS:

Pixma PRO9000 MKII ( Three of them - One being used - 2 New in box )
Pixma PRO9500 MKII ( Two of them - One being used - 1 New in box )

All of them purchased either new or used on Ebay and Craigs list for small fraction of MSRP.

Yes I use them all - not just stare at them, though they are all very stylish! LOL!

No clogs on any of them, even the used ones which all worked straight out of the shipping boxes or after I brought them home from buying locally.

Seriously, I do need to start handing down some of these to my kids maybe I can infect them as well.

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
I'm still SOOOO glad that I grabbed a handful of the remanufactued i560's from Fry's when they were $30... I only wish I had bought them all!!

<how can hoarding printers be wrong when it feels SOOOO GOOD!?!?!> ;)

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
nifty-stuff.com said:
I'm still SOOOO glad that I grabbed a handful of the remanufactued i560's from Fry's when they were $30... I only wish I had bought them all!!

Looking for sympathy on this forum is a total waste of time, dont you know its full of a bunch of old printerholicks :bow :ep

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
nifty-stuff.com said:
I'm sure there are a number of eminent wives who could explain this to us at length while smacking us around the head with a suitable heavy, hard object to punctuate their points...