flushing solution

jakm4n

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I am looking for a solution to rinse out the really bad cross contaminated cartridges. I popped a few lids off and noticed the sponged a dried up ink particle build up that needs flushing. I'm looking for a cleaning solution that I can rinse throught the sponges without damaging the cartridge or damaging the sponge. (I tried water mixed with windex, but noticed it creates alot of foamy substance when I spueeze the sponge)

Is there any other solution out there that I can make or last resort buy a premade solution?

Jacob

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
You can use this solution:

-3 % glycerine or propylene glycol
-20 % isopropyl alcohol (pharmaceutical degree without any additives), if you can not obtain it: 96 % potable alcohol (very expensive !)
-distilled water up to 100 %

you can add 3 drops of concentrated ammonia per 100 ml if you want a greater cleaning power.

jakm4n

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Is one of these better than the other .. glycerine or propylene glycol? Which do you prefer out of these two?

Do you can any proper measurements?

Thanks Jacob

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
I find propylene glycol slightly better, because it is less viscous. Isopropanol = isopropyl alcohol is superior to potable alcohol. But potable alcohol can be used as a second choice alternative.
You can make 1 liter of it. This much easier to measure than small amounts. The solution can be kept almost eternally if kept in a cool and dark place. It does not need any preservative since the amount of alcohol is above 18 %.

The above solution has the advantage that after drying the sponge (water + alcohol (+ ammonia) will evaporate) is slightly humected with propylene glycol: this will enhance the penetration degree of your ink into the sponges, without changing your ink significantly.

Ron350

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
-
What would be a good source for propylene glycol in the US?

Thanks Ron.

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
propylene glycol and glycerine can be obtained at your local drugstore. It is used as a humectant in creams and a additive in cough syrups. However I don't know the local legislation about buying these chemicals, since it is quite strict nowadays in the USA. It is quite harmless, since it is potable and not-toxic.

Ron350

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
-
Thanks for the help Pharmacist.

I did not know Propylene Glycol was used in so many things.

zepat

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
canon MP620
I bought today very easily 2 bottles of PropylenGlycol in German Pharmacy...;)
100ml for 8€.
20140718_231240.jpg

I'm happy to be able to prepare "The Pharmacist" solution to clean up my Cartridge this week end.:frow:weee

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
I have used @pharmacist solution on several of my cartridges that would not give consistent ink flow and it worked like a charm, it also works great when you let the sponge dry out completely.. :)

zepat

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
canon MP620
Very happy about this...
I'm gonna lock myself in my "Dr Jekyll" labo this week end....hahaha
Very excited!!

Latest posts