First of my CR-10 Upgrades

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
I decided to make a start on the list of upgrades that I want to do to my CR-10, first off is to install two new stabiliser bars to make the platform far more stable when printing large projects.

I don’t have all the necessary parts to complete the first upgrade yet, but what the hell, it was just begging me to start, the rest of the parts I need will arrive on Monday courtesy of LaPoste from France.

I began by removing the glass and heated platform, it helps to get them out of the way first and then I unscrewed the two centre support wheels on the base, then drilled two new holes on the edges to relocate these two wheels.
Stary to drill.jpg finished upgrade.jpg

Within a couple of minutes, I had the new wheels in place and now I'm just waiting on the two stabiliser bars to finish the project, I did notice that the wheels on the inner bar are not the same, the ones on the left are static and the ones on the right are adjustable.
support wheels.jpg Adjustable wheel washer.jpg click to enlarge.
While I had the platform in pieces I put four 3D printed custom washers on the screws that hold down the platform, they help keep the springs in place when I go to reassemble and fit the platform once again, it stops the springs wandering all over the place.

More later and I’ll show the finished upgrade job in the coming week..:hu

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
Wow, great stuff!

This isn't an upgrade that I've heard / seen much about. I assumed it wasn't the top of the list for increasing stability, etc. (like the extra supports and Z rod), but if you've already done those and you're still anxious to do upgrades, then I say: :thumbsup

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
This isn't an upgrade that I've heard / seen much about.
No, my new platform upgrade was never done before that I can recall, I got the idea from this Pic and decided it was a better setup than just using the single rail, and mine will now have three.
Twin rails.jpg

Ironically, I received the new rod and motor kit today by DHL courier, I don’t know what happened to my package of parts for the platform from LaPoste, it surely is coming by Escargot mail.

I went ahead and installed the new rod and second motor today, just as soon as the package came through the door, and will fine tune it tomorrow, it was such a simple task, and there really isn’t any problems installing upgrades to these 3D printers at all, there're all so simple..

Rather than show photos of the upgrade as I did it, I reckon this video says it better than I could with still photos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJKDMQ5It4E

Maybe I’ll get to finish the platform upgrades tomorrow and that will only leave the hot-end to do and I’ll be back printings with this beast again, the Monoprice is a life saver and great backup to keep me sane, its printing something most days..

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
I finally got my package delivered yestarday with the parts necessary to complete the platform upgrade, so I got stuck straight in and finished the long awaited upgrade, it was a straight forward job to just drill a hole in the two new rails at both ends and insert a nut and bolt.
New Running Rails.jpg Underside.jpg underside of Platform.

There was no need to drill anything on the printer itself, I only had to remove the orange plastic strips that covered the existing framing rails with a screwdriver and then place the new rails on top to secure them.

I squeezed the new rail against the wheel and secured it tightly with the bolts while measuring both ends with some callipers to keep it nice and straight, the platform now glides free and easy and is very stable, a job well done I reckon.
This the Finish Job.jpg new Rails.jpg My New look triple-rail.
Then its onto installing the new hot-end, but that will have to wait till later... ;)