Firmware update

snowmexican

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro 100
Hello!
Does anyone know where to find the notes for the firmware updates for the Canon Pro-200.
My printer is notifying my of an firmware update and I'm not sure of what it is adding or changing?

I only like to update firmware if there is a significant additional that would benefit my situation or workflow.

I have been looking on the Canon websites and searching on Google but cannot seem to find any notes of what is being added?
Anyone have any information?
Thanks in advance.

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
If you are using OEM chips and you HAVE to be as there is nothing else available what are you afraid of? Did the Hat scare you enough? New models will typically have updates in their first year because wrinkles need to be ironed out.
I updated mine and there were no deleterious effects and I have been refilling mine for over three months now.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
My printer is notifying my of an firmware update
There is no firmware update available on the Canon web site for Windows 10 x64. Maybe an automatic printer request accesses updates sooner than manually going through the web site.

1623422891891.png

Also, it is critical you state your Operating System. Update can vary based on OS.

There are 2 optional Software updates dated 5/31/2021 for my OS.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil

snowmexican

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro 100
If you are using OEM chips and you HAVE to be as there is nothing else available what are you afraid of? Did the Hat scare you enough? New models will typically have updates in their first year because wrinkles need to be ironed out.
I updated mine and there were no deleterious effects and I have been refilling mine for over three months now.
Not afraid more of curious of the unknown, and find it very strange that there is no notes for these as far as I know.
Do you know what the changes were like quality improvements or media changes or were they all "under the hood bugs"

Not afraid of firmware updates, just dont like when I don't know what they are changing, especially rn since I am in the middle of a project I wouldnt want it changing media or any inbuilt ICC profiles thus changing the consistency of my output during this project.

Any information is helpful, thanks!

snowmexican

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro 100
There is no firmware update available on the Canon web site for Windows 10 x64. Maybe an automatic printer request accesses updates sooner than manually going through the web site.

View attachment 12279

Also, it is critical you state your Operating System. Update can vary based on OS.

There are 2 optional Software updates dated 5/31/2021 for my OS.
I'm not sure if this is a working area of the site, as even when I looked at the Pro-100 it showed the same, no firmware for the OS you selected, (I also went though every single one of the options and still none.
Which would make sense as there likely isn't any way for the browser to know what firmware your printer is.

Software and firmware are very different, but yes I already did check those and all the different operating systems.

I'm not curious if there is a firmware update as my printer says for sure there is, just wondering the notes for the update.

And this messages has been since I got the Pinter about 3 weeks ago, but like I mentioned above I'm just in the middle of a project and don't want to change any if the consistency just yet, mostly curious for what is being changed.
Thanks

snowmexican

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro 100
I have asked several times and still waiting for your explanation of your color management test methodology and usefullness using a mismatched ICC profile and a mystery ink for the reference print.

https://www.printerknowledge.com/th...-pro-100-a-good-idea.14629/page-4#post-127349

What are you afraid of?
Not sure if this is relevant to this thread topic.
I'm sure if and/or when he wants to reply he can do it on the original, I'm sure he has been reminded enough to know that you are still curious of the answer to that question.
😁

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
I'm just in the middle of a project and don't want to change any if the consistency just yet, mostly curious for what is being changed.
My answer is always the same, these firmware updates are for Canons benefit and very seldom for the owners, and never improve the quality of your output, so why bother, leave well enough alone.. If it was critical then you’d get a message from Canon..

If you still worried then why not contact Mikling direct, because he’s constantly bragging how he knows more about Canon printers than anyone, so you’re supposed to disregard all other opinions.. but it’s wise to be more afraid of his erroneous comments..:eek:

snowmexican

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro 100
My answer is always the same, these firmware updates are for Canons benefit and very seldom for the owners, and never improve the quality of your output, so why bother, leave well enough alone.. If it was critical then you’d get a message from Canon..

If you still worried then why not contact Mikling direct, because he’s constantly bragging how he knows more about Canon printers than anyone, so you’re supposed to disregard all other opinions.. but it’s wise to be more afraid of his erroneous comments..:eek:

Personally I enjoy the occasional firmware update that can add relevant features for my device.
For example my current camera has had a few firmware updates that improve focus accuracy and speed. Very useful to me.
Everyone has their own experiences and practice whether they always update or not.

But I am being cautious of a blind firmware update because I can't be without a printer or the consistency I'm getting right now (live quite far from "civilization" so not able to quickly get another one).

That's why I'm curious of any notes for this update, I find it very strange that I can't find any especially for a printer this "popular"
If it is not adding anything of value to me I typically avoid those kind of updates, why fix if it, if it ain't broke. But I do like it when they have new features and benefits to me personally.

Not worried of any firmware update just wanted to know the notes for it before doing it, I don't think I have ever seen a firmware update that doesn't have notes to be found somewhere. And I haven't ever updated something's firmware without seeing what the changes are. Firmware is alot more delicate than software so updates are much more important.

And I take everyone's information in combination with my own knowledge to make decisions, but all of you definitely know alot more about these printers than I.

They still amaze me on how TINY dots of ink get PERFECTLY laid onto paper with a BLAZING fast printhead.

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
I have asked several times and still waiting for your explanation of your color management test methodology and usefullness using a mismatched ICC profile and a mystery ink for the reference print.

https://www.printerknowledge.com/th...-pro-100-a-good-idea.14629/page-4#post-127349

What are you afraid of?
No need to mismatch, I don't know what your point is when a proper one exists.
http://www.precisioncolors.com/PC65ICC.html

Ultra Pro Satin is not far off the Canon one anyways. So what is your point. My point is that even if someone purchases Red River Paper and does not use Official Canon Paper and most will end up doing, the color is quite good.

There was never a need to cross reference in detail because ICC profiles are indeed provided. Just like the Pro-100
http://www.precisioncolors.com/PC42SE_ICC.html

So ridiculous. Even Canon does not provide profiles to support aftermarket papers. I support BOTH Canon and North America's largest supplier of aftermarket papers.

Last edited: