Fine Art Ink Jet Printing book

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Possibly - but that is not what he said.
We must be reading completely different posts. It was a succinct paraphrasing of The Hat's post. apetitphoto's premise is knowing how to ride first and then learn to ride better. This is analogous to what The Hat suggests: use the printer in stock mode first, get to know your printer's abilities, then explore customizations and tweaks if you want.

let the printer do everything for you first, select the print, let the printer know which paper you intend using (Media setting) and the print quality you wish to use, and finally the paper size and orientation.

You will be surprised just how well the printer will handle everything for you, you can practice changing the Media setting and print quality and over time you’ll learn more than any book could ever teach you, it's hands on experience.

To sum up just use the tools that Canon gave you in their print driver, until you have sufficient confidence to delve further into making better prints, learn how to walk first, and only then buy the shoes...

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
..or fly a plane?
In the early days of aviation people learned through observation, personal instruction, and hands on. No books needed or available. Nowadays, book learning is an essential component of learning to fly. But you still need to learn the basics first.

The foundation of learning to fly a plane does not start off by learning how to do acrobatics. The book knowledge learned from flight school is analogous to reading the printer manual -- basic instructions for operation of the hardware, not custom configurations and specialty maneuvers. One should not bypass the basics of learning to fly a plane and go straight to barrel rolls or naval carrier landings. This is the premise of The Hat's words.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Read it again.. :hide
..or fly a plane?
Guess what, if someone back then, had written a book on how to fly a plane, we probably could have flown 50 years earlier, they were busier tearing pages from the books to make flying models, so I must admit books did help..:old
No, but many have learned how to ride better.
Riding a bike comes easy, but its far easier to come a cropper riding an inkjet printer.. :eek:

martin0reg

Printer Master
Reaction score
Do you know the F in "RTFM"? Reading manuals sometimes is really a pain in the ass... possibly these are written by lawers or engineers, not by writers...
That's why for latest camera models with lots of features (like the A7) I really need a good practical handbook. Manuals are getting too complex for my aging brain.
But sadly there are no such books for printers. So..rtfm..

Roy Sletcher

Indolent contrarian
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-100, and Epson 3880
We must be reading completely different posts. It was a succinct paraphrasing of The Hat's post. apetitphoto's premise is knowing how to ride first and then learn to ride better. This is analogous to what The Hat suggests: use the printer in stock mode first, get to know your printer's abilities, then explore customizations and tweaks if you want.

Cherry picking small bits and pieces from an eight paragraph posting of circumlocutory and contradictory piece of text does not make it succinct or clear to me or the reader.

Guess it's probably best we agree to disagree on this one.

Shalom.

rs

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Cherry picking... Guess it's probably best we agree to disagree on this one.
That would be a NO to "agree to disagree" this time, Roy.

Explain the following exchange, specifically The Hat's response to you:

Isn't that a point @The Hat made - first use the hardware, get to know it, then delve deeper if desired?

Read it again.. :hide

Prove I was "cherry picking" to give a false conclusion. Prove I was wrong in my assessment of what The Hat posted.

apetitphoto

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WF-3620 , Epson wf-7210
How about this: Books are, typically, good as a first introduction to a topic or as a later source of varying levels of information.

Latest posts