Feedback request

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
I still have not purchased or used a Canon chipped printer. I bought up all the unchipped printers I could find when they went on sale when the chipped printers came out. I still have an iP4000 and an MP760 unopened in their boxes just for the day when the printers I use die and no other replacements are available.

I envy the new features on the newer printers (faster printing, duplex auto feeder, etc) but not enough to get involved with the chipped cartridges.

But I sure like that German method of refilling, I should have switched from vacuum refilling long ago.

I recently bought two MP780 printers on eBay at significantly less than their original prices. Anyone that wants to avoid the chipped Canon printers can do still do so.

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
We're on to version #3 now and I've done a lot of work to provide the intro' information and explanation of the quickfind tool.

Also took heed of the qf tool being less ideal on all pages so it's now got it's own page with a link instead.
Coupled with a few SEO approaches it "should" be a big improvement.

Need to improve the general look and be a bit brutal with my existing copy but hey... Never finished :)

MOZE

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Hi
urm not sure if I'm using the forum correctly so will see what happens. I have been to the octoink site as stated following the link provided but cant for the life of me find the quickfind selection box, it doesn't seem to matter what I click it just takes me to the top of the page what am I doing wrong? I did buy a waste ink box from octoink for my R285 hopefuly that is part of the cure. all I really need is a link to the service lock resetter software if it exists I don't actually need it right now but I am sure that it will lock up in the distant future so if you can help I would be eternally grateful
cheers MOZE
websnail said:
Hey folks...

As the more established folks will know I've become something of a Waste Ink expert (read: bore people silly ;)) but that aside I've been working hard on a look-up resource that lists key data for every model of Epson printer that I could find info on.

The tool is the QuickFind selection box on the OctoInkjet site (top left)...

I was basically wondering if any of you could give the tool a few kicks and let me know if you find any problems with it and/or any suggestions for possible improvements...

There's also a VERY basic tabulated version which lists ALL the printers along with a simple yes/no/possibly for each of the relevant fields so if that's of interest you can go here

Just as a note, the amount of information you'll see will likely be a bit limited as I've had to hamstring the results somewhat to stop the competition screen scraping the whole thing and taking months of research and work to rebrand as their own (already happened with other stuff of mine - to my annoyance!)... The code checks for existing customers and provides them with more detail (like reset links) so it's fairly robust.. or at least that's the hope :)

Anyway, thoughts, debugging info much appreciated...

Martin

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
MOZE said:
Hi
urm not sure if I'm using the forum correctly so will see what happens. I have been to the octoink site as stated following the link provided but cant for the life of me find the quickfind selection box, it doesn't seem to matter what I click it just takes me to the top of the page what am I doing wrong? I did buy a waste ink box from octoink for my R285 hopefuly that is part of the cure. all I really need is a link to the service lock resetter software if it exists I don't actually need it right now but I am sure that it will lock up in the distant future so if you can help I would be eternally grateful
cheers MOZE
Hi,

That's my fault... After the original post was put together I reworked the whole thing and moved the "QuickFind" tool to it's own page here:
http://www.octoink.co.uk/_docs/wik_intro.php?id=3

Instead of the box you can now find a > QuickFind < link in the olive green navigation bar running horizontally across the page.

As to the resetter I'll PM you the link...

Sorry about the confusion... I've been having a bear of a day trying to figure out some technical issues with the server.

johnwarfin

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Personally the Octolink site is one of the most well designed and organized I've run across in the last couple years. No cartoons, music, or nasty cookie monsters. Just info and ordering links, plain and simple.

When the dust settles after holidays and ink with "SquEasy" bottles become available I intend to pick up a few sets. Probably caps too when links for those are added.

I see the need for 4 color and 6 color but not sure about that 5 color with the green. Green ink for the new Kermit ZX230 ? In any case I look forward to the 4 color sets that you mentioned in the other thread and will place an order soon.

Excellent website IMO.

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Thanks for the input John... I had one rather embarrassing bug in my QuickFind data page which sat there for months so good to know it hasn't been a major issue and the useful info is worth putting together as opposed to tons of eye candy.

FYI: I've received all bar the photo/light magenta and cyan inks for Claria printers so the ink is in.. Where I've had a "slight" hiccup has been in forgetting to think about the packing materials for shipping or labels to affix to the actual bottles (the ones I have peel off!).

I'll be getting everything on the store/site over the next few days so it'll be ready to go reasonably quickly... and I'm giving some serious thought to spraying some red and blue caps so they're easily distinguishable for 6 bottle/cap sets as light/photo type inks. As to the green, that's the colour the supplier had which, for Canon 5 ink sets means it could be for the photo or pigment black...

Anyhoo... thanks again... back to the grindstone...

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Apologies for resurrecting an old thread but as it provides a bit of context and I don't want to be creating new threads for the same things, again and again.

Right... the reason for this post is really to ask if I could get a bit more feedback and general debugging info from any kindly souls willing to try and break the latest version of my QuickFind tool, scratch the paint, etc... :)

http://www.octoink.co.uk/search/quickfind.php?model=

I've just completed a massive rewrite of the code and data files that allow it to operate and aside from a number of additional improvements it's in pretty good fettle...

Really, I'm just hoping for any input on usability, icons or general suggestions that folks might have to make it a bit more accessible.

I am aware that most of the inks (except a few ink sets) go to a KB article so take that as a known issue that I will resolve with the work I'm doing tomorrow.

This may also provide a bit of context in case you were wondering if I already knew about something you find:
http://www.octoink.co.uk/news/90

T'is very much a work in progress so any constructive feedback welcomed...

Right... off to bed for me... 2:30am is never a good time to be up!!

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
... and there's a reason you should never code anytime after 1am... :)

Having watched a few folks visiting the site using Woopra I discovered (to my horror) that there was a mass of problems with redirects on various fronts.

For starters stuff was going to the wrong file!

Anyway, fixed that after a fair bit of cursing...