FAQ-Q? storage for die based printers different than pigment based?

l_d_allan

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Q: What's the best way to store printers / cartridges / print heads?
A: see thread id=1543

The thread above seemed mostly applicable to Epson printers that use pigmented ink. With my die-based PIXMA 9000-2 printer, I was wondering whether I'm much less likely to have problems.

I anticipate that my typical printing pattern will be heavy use for several days, and then little or no printing for weeks and perhaps months.

Suppose I anticipated that I wouldn't be doing any printing for 3+ months .... is the 9000-2 likely to be ok if I leave it plugged in with power on and enough ink in the cartridges so it didn't run dry doing cleaning cycles?

I'm also wondereing how much difference it makes based on the different head technologies used by Canon, Epson, HP, and others. My uninformed impression is that Canon and Epson heads are separate from the cartridge, whereas HP heads are typically part of the cartridge.

This newbie would appreciate storage guidance that was specific to a printer that used die ink, unless there really isn't that much of a difference between the two technologies. My speculation is that such guidance would vary between Canon, HP, and Epson mid-level, non-wide format inkjet printers.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
l_d_allan
The question of how long one can leave a printer without use is up for grabs.
Most guys say this or that but in the end its purely down to the individual choice.
I would recommend just leaving it alone, turn it off after use as it will survive the harshness of neglect and work just as it did before the break.
Thats providing you use either Canon or at least good quality inks with OEM cartridges and not compatible cartridges with glorified coloured liquid in them.
Canon printers are pretty good at long holidays and heavy work loads and are not phased by eider.
Some of my printers have on occasion taken a very long break, then start up with a cleaning cycle and print as normal with perfect results, its one of the reasons I choose Canon.. :)