Failed to unclog

dougsewell

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Hi all
Its not all success in this game. Recently worked for two days trying to unclog a canon iP3500 print head that was giving very poor fuzzy and pale prints. Used a mix of 20 parts hot water, 2 parts vodka, and 2 parts household ammonia which has always worked brilliantly in the past in unclogging various printer items. Tried everything from soaking overnight with print heads sitting on a damp paper towel to actually manufacturing a multi use cleaning cart from an old flushed out ClI-8. I drilled a hole over the ink tank (not over the sponge compartment) of a size to take a syringe without needle of a size to make the syringe outlet a tight fit in the hole. All other holes (but not the main outlet feed hole or breather channel) were filled with hot melt glue . The cart was then filled with cleaning solution then held tightly over each of the colour inlet nozzles inside the head in turn while a syringe full of the same fluid was inserted tightly into the hole in the ink tank then injected with a fairly firm pressure. After treating the nozzles in this way the cart. and syringe were filled with hot water and the whole procedure repeated. After a few attempts at this alternating between water and cleaning fluid I eventually gat a good steady fine stream of water from each of the nozzles. Great I thought but another nozzle check print showed no improvement. New printhead needed from one of my spare 3500's . Image of nozzle check for all to see.
2604_nozzle_check.jpg

I refill using the german method and use top quality inks from inktec.
What is anoying is that the printer is not yet a year old and the failure seems to be electrical rather than a physical clog. Any other ideas would be greatfully received.

Doug

dougsewell

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Contacted Canon for guarantee repairs. Told to send back at own expense and they will exchange for newer iP3600 as 3500 no longer available. Not on as I want to retain the advantages we all know too well on the 3500. Telephoned Amazon from whom it was purchased in the first place and they offered to refund as they had no 3500 in stock. Returned through DHL at Amazons expense. Ordered another 3500 through Nanobits via Amazon. All honkey Dory again
Regards to all
Doug

stevec

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I see you're using Inktek inks. As I have just got my first 4500 I shall need to find a source of decent ink. Where do you source from? And is it close to Canon inks.
I nearly bought a 3500 from Nanobits last week but decided to hold out for a 4500 (nearly new) instead.

dougsewell

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Hi Stevec. As I live in the Scottish borders I get my inks locally but did not know this when I first orfered online. Inktec are great and I find are very close to Canon spec You need to get the formulated inks specific to your printer of course but the web site gives all the info you need. P&P is free and I have found them to be great to deal with. Telephone calls in particular have been very informative. Order one day and usually here the next. There address is Pro Print Ink Tec UK
Unit 1 Stowmill
Stow
Galashiels TD1 2RB
Tel 0840 666600
e-mail www.inktec-uk.com/contact_info.htm
Good luck with a great printer
Doug

stevec

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I've just spoken to InkTec. Apparently they don't make ink for the small format printers and seemed to be saying that what they sell is a Jettec product. Also I can't find reference to the CLI-8/PGI-5 on their website. What do you order?

dougsewell

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
OK now? Proprint is the way to go and you will find various quantities for nearly every printer you can think of
Doug

Trigger 37

Printer Guru
Reaction score
I can't let these posts pass without adding my comments. Jettec is one of the ink mfg and sellers that package their ink as "Universal Compatible", and state that they will work in all kinds of printers. Most of the INKJET Masters know this is a false statement and would never waste or time or money on a companies product after that kind of a lie. Yes they say they now have unique inks for each printer model, but if you just use Google and search the web for Jettec inks and comments/problems by others, I think you will get a better picture.

There are many experts that have done all kinds of Photo Quality testing and comparison and links to these test can be found on this web site. One of the best was done by Neil Slade. I personally use "ImageSpecials Ink" which was part of Neils study results. I've now used it for almost two years with OUTSTANDING results. To find out more about it visit "Precisioncolors.com" This is my 2cents.

NoixPecan

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
stevec said:
I've just spoken to InkTec. Apparently they don't make ink for the small format printers (...)
Be careful here, you have not spoken to InkTec (the famous Korean ink manufacturer) but to ProPrint (a British retailer which sells some InkTec products among other brands). Do not be confused by the way ProPrint market their domain names (proprint.co.uk, inkjet-direct.com, inktec-uk.com). For example, the 1L ink bottles currently sold at proprint.co.uk are unbranded. To buy some 1L InkTec bottles, you have to go elsewhere (tintenalarm.de for example).

stevec

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I must admit to still being confused at this.

Dougsewell, presumably you are using bottled ink to refill (i.e not cartridges). Is this ink labelled as Inktec? If so what size and does it have a part number I can quote to them over the phone? (Or numbers to cover all the colours etc)