External Ink Waste Container Increases Clogging?

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
@martin0reg, I reckon if you going to go to all that bother of installing an external waste ink tank then you should do it properly.

What is properly you may well ask?

A waste ink tank should work 100% of the time without requiring any further attention and if there is a possibility that it won’t fulfil that requirement then it’s not worth installing..
I haven't heard of any objections against the simple first alternative yet, but...?
If this first alternative failed on you, would you publicise it.. o_O

martin0reg

Printer Master
Reaction score
Well my waste bottle for a R800 is doing fine so far, I have installed it mainly out of technical interest and to see if the purge unit is working. I was just thinking of possible back flow.. or dried ink in the waste tubes..

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
BTW - regarding the installation of waste ink tanks:
What about the level of the tank? Could you simply use any bottle and stick it with velcro at the side of the printer, which means that the tubing goes up before entering the tank
Yep, you can... Couple of arguments against..
  1. Tall bottles have a habit of falling over
  2. Velcro works but removing the bottle can (particularly for those with weak grip/pull) result in the bottle jerking away (cue: ink spray) when the velcro "lets go".
  3. The up/over can result in some backflow, particularly if the pump is worn and allowing fluid past the pinch point
Ink drying in the tube isn't a huge problem so long as you as it's a very smooth material. Problems with clogging are more prone if you have a pigment printer that has sat with ink in a poor quality/thin tubing. That can get REALLY interesting fast (been there done that, what a mess!).

Or may it be important to install a sort of tank which inlet is positioned as low as possible, like a printer potty for example?
It's not vital to use the low inlet design but I settled on it because, on balance, it causes fewer problems and is much more stable.

Oh and when I looked at Canon printers like the iP4000 I found we needed a completely different approach so there's no universal solution.

As @The Hat has said... if it ain't broke, don't fix it. :)