Experiencing more problems with Canon CLI-8 yellow cartridges

binkie

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I was wondering if there is any difference regarding difficulty of resetting the Yellow CLI8 cartridge if one resets it before the low or empty message or after the low or empty message. My common sense tells me there would be no difference, but I may be wrong in reality. Any thoughts out there?

pebe

Printer Guru
Reaction score
martop said:
I wonder if there is any information on the part number for the canon chip or a spec sheet for it, just to see what the handling precautions are. Untill that day arives I think I will take antistatic measures to preserve what carts I have.

Have took a look at the new HP carts on druckerchannel, The chips look very similar to canon's I see your point about the orange cover protecting the chip. I wonder if HP's chip is embedded into the case or just fits flush to the base of the cart. Never seen the new HP carts till now, looks like they copied canon for the carts and the print head.

I never understood canon's idea of sticking a cart in a plastic bag that on by the looks of it, is not antistatic.
I wonder whether it is not so much a case of the chip being damaged by static, but rather a case if the chip being damaged while being reset.

I bought an IP600 and as I had heard that a resetter was coming, I went for a second set of new carts rather than risk losing the guarantee by refilling and overruling the warning of low ink.

So I then had a spare set of carts. I bought a ReDsetter as soon as it was available and refilled my 5 old carts and reset them. I took great care about static and didn't handle the chip at all. Nevertheless, the PGBK cart - although it reset OK - failed after installation with a 'Cartridge Not Identified' or similar notice. When I opened the lid and the carts moved to the middle the LED on the PGBK was out. Unclipping the cart and then immediately reseating it again brought on the LED again. It then printed OK for a couple of days before failing again. I have since reset the chip again with the same results. so I consider the chip is now a write-off.

I notice that on the ReDsetter, placing the cart on the ramp of the unit operates the battery switch, so the internal micro(?) is already powered up when its four contacts mate with the chip. I have handled many eeproms and gates and the rule has always been to make all necessary connections before applying power.

Not so with the ReDsetter because it is not possible to make all four contacts at the same time. Before I use it again and ruin another chip, I shall remove the switch from its present position to outboard where I can manually switch on AFTER the contacts are all made.

martop

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
binkie,

I cant comment on resetting a chip that shows empty, all my resets have been done before the carts went empty. Some one may have reset when the carts empty according to the chip so would be usfull to know if it reset ok.

pebe,

You make a valid point about making contact before applying power, something I know about as I have worked in R&D as well as electronics being one of hobbies. Thing with this is the chip is usualy inserted into a powered printer so theoretically that could do damage to a 'weak' or failing chip.

Replacing the switch in the REd-setter should be easy enough as there is space inside the case for a push to make switch, though I am not sure at the moment if this switch is used as single pole or double pole push to make or even if the internal switch just runs the program in the resetter leaving some of the pins powered up as I cant tell by looking at the pictures I have seen of the inside, from what I can tell, the bottom of the PCB seems to be a back-plane, more likely negative, the switch looks as if its just using two of its 4 pins and there appears to be no through connections to the back-plane, so it may well be a single pole type. only investigation and track trace with a dvm will show this.

One good point about opening the case is you can replace the glued joints with screws so to afford battery replacement as shown by Smile's post here:

http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=3109

Servo

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I've bought loads of empty carts (40+) and all have reset and working without a problem but one. I've tried some of them in two ip4500 and a mp510. I remember one cyan cart took awhile to reset, meaning I tried to reset it 6 times, it would flash but the final solid red light didn't come on. I kept trying and finally it worked. It's in the printer now, and has been printing fine for almost 2 weeks, it's half empty now, and looking at the cart thats about right.

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
Servo,

Thanks for your comment. I will give it a try several times. It was exactly what I experience: a flew flashes and than no final solid red light...... Maybe I should be more persistent and give it several times to overcome this problem.

Servo

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
pharmacist

My wife say's I'm tight and won't throw anything away, I just kept trying and trying til it reset.

I was on ebay last night, and there's a guy selling replacement chips for the carts, they look the same as the canon. He wants 9.99 plus free posting. I have no idea if these are 3rd party chips, or even taking off Oem carts.

binkie

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
pharmacist said:
Servo,

Thanks for your comment. I will give it a try several times. It was exactly what I experience: a flew flashes and than no final solid red light...... Maybe I should be more persistent and give it several times to overcome this problem.
Pharmacist,

Persistence often pays off! I was having the same trouble with a CLI8 Yellow cartridge . . . a few flashes than no solid red light. On about the 7th try, the solid red light finally went on and now the cartridge is working fine. Hopefully, it will again resist the next time I try.

Binkie

pebe

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Servo said:
pharmacist

My wife say's I'm tight and won't throw anything away, I just kept trying and trying til it reset.

I was on ebay last night, and there's a guy selling replacement chips for the carts, they look the same as the canon. He wants 9.99 plus free posting. I have no idea if these are 3rd party chips, or even taking off Oem carts.
I saw carts with chips being sold by ink.co.uk at about 2.50 each. I thought that would be worth it if only to get hold of the chips. But I wanted to be sure that the chips could be reset with the ReDsetter they were sellin, so sent them an email. Here is the reply I received.

Thank you for your enquiry!

We recommend using our Canon Chipresetter for original cartridges or our
"non-chip" ink reservoirs only because our cartridges already with chips are
disposable items.

We offer two product lines for your printer:

1) Cartridges with chips

These disposable cartridges are already ready to be used in your device.
Therefore, our chips can not be removed or reset.

2) Cartridges without chips

Here, you have to remove the chips from the original Canon cartridges and
fix them on ours. The original Canon cartridges can be removed and reset
several times. For this purpose you can even use our chipresetter.

Please note: Whereas the original Canon chips can be removed and reset
several times, the chips from our disposable cartridges can not.

Please feel free to contact me directly for any further questions
So it looks like there may be a source of non-resettable chips out there. Beware!

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
Argghhh..... I tried at least 8 times and still no improvement. The printer now forces me to deactivate the ink level of the yellow CLI-8, which strangely does work: the LED is now deactivated and no longer visible..... Hmm, the chip should work but it can NOT be reset !!! It is a GENUINE Canon cartridge......

All other cartridges can be reset and the resetter will light up at the end of the reset procedure, without that faulty flashy flashy before the light of the LED dims.....

I hope there is no new batch of chips made by Canon itself, which can not be reset.........