Ethernet Print Server for USB Canon MP610 multifunction

NickC

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Any suggestions or recommendation for a compatible ethernet Print Server to connect a USB Canon MP610 multifunction? This is to use in Windows 8, not that the actual OS should matter.

Thanks,
Nick

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
Brands to look into are:

Silex
Pricom

Worth looking beyond just "print server" and look into networked USB hubs.. Most of them seem to Silex based units but from the looks of it the tech' was licensed out to other manufacturers.

In terms of OS compatibility I'd definitely check that out before purchasing, preferably with the manufacturer. I had huge problems with a USB net hub from Belkin and it's connection software because Windows 7 just did not want to play fair and kept disconnecting.

Hope that helps and please feed back on what you find, especially any quirks/solutions you discover as they'll doubtless help someone else in a similar position in the future.

thanhhuy123

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
HP Deskjet Ink Advantage 5525
Basically if someone need to network a printer, it's better to buy a printer that's already has lan/wifi interface. It's just more stable than a separated piece of print server.

For large network, they dedicate a whole server to be a print server, along with network-ready laser printer.

Anyway, some print server does the job okay: Dlink. Some of them works by simulating a virtual usb interface via tcp/ip. Some higher-end print server is actually a server with full features of a print server - though it's expensive and in most cases it's not worth compare to buying a network-ready printer.

I use the most basic: File and Print sharing in Windows + Google Cloud Print :D