Error 5011 on MG7150

citizenmatt

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MG7150
Hi all. I've got a Canon MG7150 all in one printer, which I've been nice and happy with, and has worked really nicely. But it's suddenly stopped working, showing an error 5011 code. The message says I should turn off and try again, but it always returns with the error 5011.

I've had a search on the internet, and come up with a couple of suggestions - paper jams, scanner jams, etc. but nothing seems to work. I don't have any paper caught in the mechanism, and I managed to get it apart and the scanner head moves ok, but I still get 5011.

If I hold the power + cancel buttons while turning on, and then press cancel 4 times, it seems to do a reset that can get past the 5011, but starts up in a mode where nothing works - wifi and LAN aren't active, USB doesn't print, etc. I can print the LAN settings from this mode (and it works, and prints, and remembers my WIFI network name, but everything is marked as "inactive"). If I try to enable the LAN or WIFI, or reset all my settings, the printer just sits there showing a busy indicator forever, and doesn't reset anything. Turning off and back on just returns back to the 5011.

Does anyone have any idea what's going on, and how I can fix this? It's a nice printer, and just stopped working out of the blue. I'd like to fix it rather than throw it away and buy a new one. Are there any service modes or service tools I can use to do a full factory reset? I tried to re-run the firmware update, but I'm already on the latest, and the updater tool doesn't let me run it again.

Any ideas?

Cheers
Matt

cez4r

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MG7550, Canon MP600
Hi!

If it's still under warranty, send it to the service.

If not ... This is what I've found in one of polish forums - the same error 5011 just w/ Canon Pixma MX 515:
"It turned out a ribbon called 'Sumitomo-g AWM 2896 80C VW 1' was damaged - this is the ribbon of 104cm length which connects the mainboard with the front panel."
Maybe it helps you somehow...

Cheers

citizenmatt

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MG7150
Thanks! I took the beast apart and had a good look around. The cable you mention is there, but does not appear to be damaged. After a quick Google, I couldn't find any replacements with the correct length and number of pins, so I can't even try replacing it just to see.

I've spent more than enough time on this, and have no real idea what to do next, so it's already gone in the skip. Ho hum. Annoying, as it was a good printer until it suddenly decided not to work - wouldn't mind if I'd done something to cause it, or if there was a way I could try and fix it.

Thanks for your help. Now I have to go find a new printer...