Epson's bottled inks

IndyJones

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
WF-2760
Amazing, thank you!

So from what I can understand the 405 should be the best between all the options, inkwise?

In that case the Epson 106 or 114 (labelled as Claria) should work fine?

Do you always suggest to buy original ink or there are really good substitutes?
Thank you!

IndyJones

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
WF-2760
I cannot answer all model number questions to you - do this - enter 'Epson 102 ink' as the search keywords into Google or your preferred search engine, and you get here

https://www.epson.de/de_DE/produkte...tronen/102-ecotank-4-colour-multipack/p/30394
or a similar page in your language, you scroll down to the bottom and find all printer models listed which use the inkset you searched for - XP models - ET-.... or L..... Ecotank models

Epson 604 is CMY dye + pigment black in cartidges
Epson 405 is Durabrite Ultra CMYK in cartridges
Epson 503 is CMY dye + pigmentblack in cartridges

Epson 102 are bottled dye CMY + pigment black
Epson 103 are bottled dye CMYK
Epson 104 are CMYK dye

These Ecotank dye inks are weak and are not Claria dye equivalent, that's the Epon 106 and 114 inks only.

The Epson 113 inks are CMYK pigmented and bottled for Ecotank printers - Epson does not call these 'Ultrabrite' , I don't know what the differences are

Yes but what I'm trying to do is the conversion between ET and WF.. in the site every ink bottle is suggested only for Et

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
in the site every ink bottle is suggested only for Et
Yes, that's what Epson is listing up - bottled inks for Ecotank printer models, Epson does not list any off-use of these inks for use in other printers, you are supposed to buy cartridges for the other printers.

You can go and look for the number of nozzles and the droplet size in the technical specs - you'll find that there is common use of printheads in cartridge type printers and Ecotank printers - the printhead does not know where the ink is coming from.

You want to get a new printer - I'm not really clear what your requirements are - dye or pigment inks - an Ecotank or XP or WF - type model with cartridges and with refill - and other requirements like borderless printing , speed, duplex etc...

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
Do you always suggest to buy original ink or there are really good substitutes?
no, not necessarily, you decide, it's your requirements and expectations you have for a print - like e.g. color fidelity or longevity, and you have the choice - OEM inks or 3rd party inks at a lower price and lower performance for particular parameters. If I print the daily news off the internet I won't collect and store such prints for any longer time - I read it and throw it away - I use the cheapest inks, leftovers from previous tests etc so yes - there is enough possible and reasonable use for budget level inks. You just cannot expect Epson Claria or Canon Chromalife100 like performance from such inks.

Last edited:

IndyJones

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
WF-2760
Thank you for your time.
I print some university exam notes on plain paper and sometimes I print 10x15cm pictures of my son for my parents, I don't need an high end printer, as I renew those pictures from time to time.
What I had was perfect for me, wf-2760 with auto resetting chips and original 113 Epson ink. With non Oem cartridges I had a lot of clogging issues, since I don't print too often. With oem ink I solved those issues and the pictures were way more resistant to uv.
So, what I need is a
-cheap front/back printer
-cheap cartridges of non oem good ink (for some printer you can find 2-3€ tanks, for other nothing below 10€ each)
-or cheap auto resetting empty tanks, some have 10-20€ kit available, for some others are not easy to find and the price is way above 50.
- i don't know easy tank or similar but I think I would like them.
What I know is that I want print heads on the printer and not on cartridges.

For instance, epson 405 is durabrite (pigment, so more durable) and the kit of autoresetting tanks costs about 50€ can be a nice option. Could the I own work on that, being a pigment ink? What ink could I use to replace that? (106? 102?)

I don't print too often, but from what I've read there is not a less clogging ink than others, am I right?

So to understand compatibility I must check dye/pigment and droplet size in the technical specs?

Furthermore, will PRECISIONCORE heads will be less prone to clogging?

Thank you again

Last edited:

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
Why don't you just buy another WF-2760 since you have already all refill items for this printer - cartridges and inks, or you look for the successor WF-2860 which uses cartridges of the type 502, refill cartridges of this type are available as well.

Clogging - just print a small image or whatever on a regular base - something like every week and look for the printout - missing lines etc which you then would clean away.

Last edited:

IndyJones

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
WF-2760
WF-2760 is out of market and I could only look for an used one, it's a 7-8 yo printer.
WF-2860 and 2865 are too out of market, some residual left at 200€, yes, ARC tanks are cheap.

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
The successor WF-2960 runs lower at 125€ and up but I don't see 503 refill cartridges yet for this new model, that may take a few months, but that's all up to you. I think we can close the thread at this point.

Last edited:

IndyJones

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
WF-2760
So you think that 503 405 or 603 arc chips will be cheaper in the next few months?

Ok, thank you very much again for your assistance!

glasseye

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson 9800
Just installed my new ET 8550. In probably two dozen printers I've installed over the last two or so decades, including two 44" units, this has to be the easiest, most successful install ever. WiFi, too - previously impossible. Delighted with the print quality, although I've done is test/calibration images.

Latest posts