Epson XP600 Error code 0x9A

Russell Mitchell

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson XP600
Hi all,
Back again.
Can some one please help with Epson error code 0x9A.
Situation as follows,
The XP600 was printing a text photo doc, printer setting text dock.
The first doc printed no problem.
Second doc at the same setting printed, but flooded the page black, so much so that I had to wipe the excess ink of the paper tray.

Printer was powered down to check things out. All looked well.
Powered printer back up and the error code 0x9A is shown on the printer monitor.

Sequence as follows :- power on, Epson logo shows for a split second > then error 0x9A.
Hard reset done no change, no paper in printer to jam it.
Unable to run adjustment program due to error.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Russ.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Hi Russ,
I would hazard a guess that the print head electrics have been flooded with ink causing this error, you could try giving the whole area a good splash and clean of alcohol then blow dry the heads with a hair drier set to cold for a few minutes.

Before carrying out any work on your printer make sure you unplug it from the wall first and then leave it for an hour before powering it back on again.

Russell Mitchell

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson XP600
Hi, The Hat
Thank you for that info.

I have to say that I have had problems in that area B4.

What do you think the chances of the flooded area taking out the main board.

When the printer is powered up there is no indication of movement what so ever with the motors or the cartridge carriage.

I have checked the DC volts from the power supply seems ok although low (NOT SURE WHAT THE DC OUTPUT VOLTS SHOUD BE ON THE PS) when I check the volts at the CR motor terminals there is zero DC volts.

Could this be the main board US due to ink flooding and shorting out say the print head??

Russ.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
I had much the same problem with an Epson before which burned out the data cable that entered the print head, when I repaired it the printer would power on and work but wouldn’t print again.

But in your case your printer seems to be failing the post boot, so there may be other related problems in there, like the logic board, it’s hard to say..

Russell Mitchell

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson XP600
Hi,
Again many thank's for your input.

That sounds like a possible solution (DATA cable into print head).

I am going to follow your advice and check out the data cable connections one by one, print head to main board.

I will check with the cable still connected to the print head and the other end removed from the main board.

It is possible to pick up a connection terminal on the print head after the data cable connector socket.
This should tell me if I have a fault in the print head socket/data cable.

Russ.

scurwy

Print Lurker
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson XP 600
Russ,

Have you solved your problem with printer? What was the reason? Now I have the same issue - it happend after printing head cleaning.
MS

Russell Mitchell

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson XP600
Russ,

Have you solved your problem with printer? What was the reason? Now I have the same issue - it happend after printing head cleaning.
MS

Hi,
Very sorry for the very late reply, I have had a few internet connection probs.

In short sorry NO I never found out for sure what the problem was, and it's a long long story.

But I am 99.9% sure that it is a short out on the print head circuit in the head or the main control board, I removed the main board and the print head. checked the board out under a magnifying glass nothing showing as burnt out, one of the print head ribbon cables was showing a lot of ink in the area where it enters the print head, this was all cleaned up and washed as suggested, Please see attached pic the ink was under the ribbon with the blue tab. The white paper indicator was the area that was flooded with ink at an earlier date and caused the short out of the PW sensor).

For what it is worth I also had a guy contact me from the Far East re the prob I had with the flooded PE sensor, WE almost sorted his problem, BUT unfortunately he decided to remove the ribbon leads from the print head with the power on the printer.

He ended up with the same error code and the printer never worked again, so it was taken to his local Epson service engineer, they spent weeks, as far as I know and never found the to this day.

Bottom line, it was going to cost far more for a board and print head than the printer was worth, so it is now in my loft for spares. LOVED the printer so purchased an Ex display one, and never had a prob since.

I do have links to spares suppliers if you need them, I did purchase new sensors, and priced the print head etc.

Last but not least I spent weeks on the net re this error and none of the suggestions worked for me.

So sorry I can't help with this one BUT I would very much appreciate it if you would let me know if you solve the error.
Should you need any other info please feel free to mail me.

Russ.

Attachments

• 2014-02-17 09.23.55.jpg
    2014-02-17 09.23.55.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 4,831
  • 2014-02-17 09.49.45.jpg
    2014-02-17 09.49.45.jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 6,281

Alfi

Print Lurker
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson Workforce 7620
Hi, I do have the same problem. I have seen a youtube video on removing the print head and flushing it for cleaning. I did that and , after the reinstalling of Printhead, it says Printer Error 0x9A. Is there any body can help on this ??? I too had the same problem of not put of the printer off , while removing the print head, the power gone from the display and the printer got off while I removed the Ribbon. As described by Russel. Is there any chance to get back this in to working ???

practical

Print Lurker
Reaction score
Printer Model
epson
Unfortunately there is little that can be done to fix a shorted out epson print head especially the precision core models. I looked over two of my recent burnt out epsons and you can see shorted out parts of the flat cables that have small electrical arcs across them and some serious corrosion on the print head connection ports that no matter how well a cleaning you do it will never be functional again.

As a precaution for my remaining epson printer i decided to take apart the print head and seal it with gasket maker, including the cables and ports.

This is a purposeful design flaw as most of the epson printers with the 0X9A problem all fail at about one year old and it does not matter if you use original OEM eposn ink or refills or CIS systems. Most of the time it's the black ink that leaks down, followed by the cyan.

If you catch the problem right away there is a good chance that you can recover the print head however after a couple blockages it's already too late.

Dawn65

Print Lurker
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WF-7610
Does replacing the Printer Head work, since that apparently is the core issue?