Epson Xp 800 Problems

Chuci

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson XP 800
I just got this XP800 and I am already having problems with it. After I got it and got it setup, it printed ok for the first couple of times. Then it would only print stuff that was in color. Black text. Forget it. I called Epson and after using up all my black ink checking the nozzle and cleaning the printhead they decided to send me another black cartridge to see if the problem is with the cartridge or the printer.

Does anybody out there have any ideas on what might be causing this? I would think maybe the print head is at fault, but they told me no. That it was either the cartridge or the printer. Unfortunately I have to wait 7 to 10 days to receive the cartridge.

I will appreciate any help that I can get in regards to this matter.

Thanks in advance.

Chuck

turbguy

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i960, Canon i9900
Your printer has two black carts. One larger black and one smaller "Photo" black. The inks are shown as "Claria Premium"..Claria being one of Epson's DYE ink formulations, but "Claria Premium" is a new term to me.

The existence of a second, larger Black cart leads me to believe that the larger cart is using a PIGMENT based ink. If that is true, then the larger (pigment?) cart is only used for text (and selected graphics) printing. Someone else here correct me if I am in error. This arrangement is found on many Canon printers, as Pigment inks are far more water resistant to dye inks for text printing (think: using a highlighter).

Two questions:

WHICH black carts show as empty? The Large one, the "photo" one, or both?

Does (or did) ANY black show up on nozzle test prints before you ran "empty"?

Since the Print Head in your Epson is non-user replaceable, Epson is right. It's either the Black Cart(s) or the printer. The Print Head is effectively integral to the printer.

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
Your printer has two black carts. One larger black and one smaller "Photo" black. The inks are shown as "Claria Premium"..Claria being one of Epson's DYE ink formulations, but "Claria Premium" is a new term to me.

The existence of a second, larger Black cart leads me to believe that the larger cart is using a PIGMENT based ink. If that is true, then the larger (pigment?) cart is only used for text (and selected graphics) printing.
No correction necessary. You're on the money so far.

This arrangement is found on many Canon printers, as Pigment inks are far more water resistant to dye inks for text printing (think: using a highlighter).
Also true...

There's some wiggle room on when the dye ink cartridge is used as the Canon dye cart would also be used in duplexing and a similar arrangement may well be in effect with these Epsons but not tested this theory as yet.

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
As to the OP issue... I'm assuming you're using the Epson original cartridges in which case it's a warranty issue and frankly I'd take the thing back to the retailer or arrange a return.

If you're using a compatible cartridge however the problem is much more likely to be the cartridge and more accurately it's handling of ink flow.

So, that would be my question...are you using originals or something else?

Chuci

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson XP 800
First off, I appreciate everybody's help. Sorry, that I didn't respond to your questions sooner. As for the ink I am using the ink that came with the printer. The ink was sealed before I installed it. Yes, what I am having problems with is the large black cartridge. When the nozzle test was run. There were basically four boxes or grids that showed up. The black grid the one to the far left was a no show. Even after repeated cleaning there was no change to the nozzle test patterns.

I hope that I have answered all of your questions. As for returning it, I bought it on Ebay and if I returned it I would have to pay shipping. Hopefully this this replacement cartridge that Epson is sending doesn't do the job, they will replace it.

turbguy

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i960, Canon i9900
There is a high probability that a new cart will NOT fix the problem. Check out the reviews on Amazon.

Did Photo Black show up on the nozzle prints?

Wayne

Chuci

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson XP 800
Yes, the photo black showed up in the nozzle print. It is just the regular black that didnt show up.

turbguy

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i960, Canon i9900
Let us know how you make out with the new cart. Good luck!

Chuci

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson XP 800
I am still waiting for the cartridge. I was disappointed that it didn't come today. However, what was really disappointing was the reviews that I read on amazon about this printer. Same exact problem I am having. I just want a descent printer that doesn't use a lot of ink cleaning the print head.

turbguy

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i960, Canon i9900
I am still waiting for the cartridge. I was disappointed that it didn't come today. However, what was really disappointing was the reviews that I read on amazon about this printer. Same exact problem I am having. I just want a descent printer that doesn't use a lot of ink cleaning the print head.
Then I recommend a laser printer for text.

Wayne