Epson vs. Canon vs. Brother

Joshua

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
What is the difference between the Canon office AIO and the Canon photo AIO? I haven't been able to find the difference in the reviews online.

RMM

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Joshua said:
What is the difference between the Canon office AIO and the Canon photo AIO? I haven't been able to find the difference in the reviews online.
The office all in ones usually have an ADF (automatic document feeder) for the scanner/fax. Many (like the mx860, mx870) also have duplex (two sided) scanning and copying.

Joshua

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Is there any difference in photo or document quality?

RMM

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Joshua said:
Is there any difference in photo or document quality?
Not really. They share print heads with many other printers. They don't have the fastest print speed (not the highest nozzle count they use the mp620 print head) but the quality is the same.

nche11

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
Well, I don't agree that Epson prints better photos than Canon. Epson's advantage is really in its high end printers that prints with pigment based inks. Many professional prefer them not really because they print better photos but rather the print is more fade resistant and if you sell the print this can be an important factor for higher price for them to fetch. I have compared side by side over and over trying to find evidences to prove that Epson photos are better. But I would say Epson high end printers (above $500) are excellent printers. But Canon's Pro9000 is no dog either at $399 or even $299 price tag.

It is a fact that dye based ink has wider gamut than pigment based inks. Canon Pro9000's print are clearly more vibrant than Epson's especially when printing on glossy papers. But this is not the reason I give Canon a thumb up. If you read the find print of the printer's specs you will always find that Canon's print head has far more nozzles than any Epson printers. This enables Canon printers to print much smoothly transitions from one shade to another. It makes Canon print faster with a wider dynamics from shadow to high light.

For a same price range Canon printers are better. If you print text documents you will find Epson to be a poor choice of printers either.

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
Joshua said:
Usually, when Canon calls one of their printers a "photo" printer, they mean that it lacks a pigment black cartridge which is ideal for printing on plain paper, and instead has more dye-based cartridges with lighter colors (photo magenta and photo cyan) which are ideal for printing on photo papers.

Usually though, an All-In-One will have a pigment black cartridge so I'm not sure that distinction applies here. Can you provide specific model numbers that are labeled "office AIO" and "photo AIO"?

Joshua

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I am looking at printers such as the office MX870 and the photo MP990.

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
I couldn't find the MP870 on Canon's website but their MP990 does include a pigment black cartridge and instead of the "photo magenta" and "photo cyan" cartridges, the regular versions of these colors are used with three different sizes of nozzle. This is the way I prefer it because when a printer has photo inks, it uses those more than any other color.

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
I think RMM hit the nail on the head with regard to the difference between "office" and "photo" in that the office AIO includes an automatic document feeder. However the photo AIO has about three times as many nozzles so it should be much faster than the office AIO. Otherwise, I can see very little difference between them.

Latest posts