Epson TX111 with CISS: ink cartridges cannot be recognised

boomgaard

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Hi Members of this Forum,
I just registred because I have a problem: I bought an Epson TX111 with ciss as present for my daughter. Once at home we filled the system with ink. Then, after filling the cartridges about 100%, and resetting the chip several times, the printer printed.
My daughter transported the printer in her car and upon arrival the printer would not print and came with the error message "ink cartridges cannot be recognised".
What can I do? I have been searching on internet but I found no answer, I saw messages about waste-ink tanks and about unabling the Event Manager.
But I'm lost, what could the problem be? Is there too much ink in the cartridges (I read somewhere that they should be filled half)?
I would very much appreciate if you could help.
Thanks for reading, Boomgaard

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
My guess would be that some damage or force was applied to the chips while the printer was being transported (it's NEVER a good idea to transport a printer with CIS installed btw).

It's also possible that the ink tubes were not clamped so freeflowing ink has soiled the inside of the printhead and/or the cartridge chips...

Really the only thing I can suggest is to clamp the tubes on the CIS, remove the cartridges, check the chips and the area inside the carriage where cartridges sit for ink leakage and/or damage.

WARNING: Be VERY careful not to damage or bend the wires in this cartridge bay are as they read the chips and are very easy to break or misalign... so take your time.

Hope that helps.

johnwarfin

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I had that problem a couple times with my CX7400s. Wiggling and re-seating worked in one case and the other time pressing the reset buttin on the CIS PCB fixed it.

boomgaard

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Thank you websnail and johnwarfin, I will try your suggestions.

Update (after a few hours)
Well, taking out the cartridges and putting them back (not easy since the tubes are all glued or so), it gave some difference. In stead of saying that all cartridges were incompatible, it said that 3 were incompatible, then, fumbling a bit and reset, 2 cartridges were incompatible (btw the Epson status monitor showed 2 grey cartridges and 2 color with a red cross). Fumbling more, then al 4 became, again, incompatible.
I would very much appreciate more advice, also as to cleaning if this should reveal necessary. I did not see messy ink but of course I do not know what to look for.
Thanks and have a nice weekend.

johnwarfin

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
So it is mast certainly a contact problem. Personally I'd clean and bend the little electrodes to try fixing it. But then again I have a HUGE stack of spare printers. YMMV

pauljeba

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
am also facing the same problem with my tx111. It never detected t CISS catridges. The s/w says the installed catridges are incompattible and a red light is always on - indicating an error. I think the sales ppl are false propaganding the compatiblity of CISS with tx111.

Prima

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
For Mr. Boomgaard, message "ink cartridges cannot be recognized", please press the ink symbol button in your printer, the cartridges will be move to the left and then stop at the arrow in the middle of the printer. If all of your cartridge pointed stop the arrow, I think your all cartridges not to be placed good position so the contact point of the chips and the carriege not good, try to replace all and then placed them carefully. If one or two or more but not all your cartridges stop pointed the arrow, please check the chips, clean them with alcohol 90% or brush them smoothly. If the problem persistent, try to exchange the poor CISS cartridge with new one, even you can exchange only the chip not the body cartridge. You can exchange the chip color cartridge with the other but not with the black chip !