Epson sure color P900 print head/nozzle issue?

spookymuffinman

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson Sure Color P900
Hello --

I had some serious head/nozzle clogging issues. Routine head cleaning fixed all but one nozzle. Each nozzle check comes back clean now, except the Cyan nozzle check prints a few perfect middle rows, with completely blanks spaces above and below. (Please see image below) Further head cleanings have now essentially stopped showing any progress for the Cyan when printing nozzle checks. I'm feeling stuck.

Has anyone else had this issue? Is it just a clog or an electrical issue with the print head? Is there possible a home solution, or do I have to send this in for repair?

Please reach out if you have any ideas... thank you so much!

Best,
Scott

Screenshot 2024-04-08 at 2.57.13 PM.png

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
How did this nozzle problem develop - was it there suddenly - or did the problem grow with more and more nozzles missing ? Are you doing refill or using original inks/cartridges ?

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
since the missing nozzles for cyan are so symmetric I guess there is some electronic malfunction of the printhead sending signals to those missing cyan nozzles.. check if the signal ribbon is firmly attached to the print head.

Lothman

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
does the nozzle check change after 24h? If so it could be air bubbles in the inks supply or inside the printhead. On my p900 I had no problems up to now but on my former Epson printers waiting for several hours helped to get rid of air bubble problems and the nozzlecheck was fine again.

spookymuffinman

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson Sure Color P900
How did this nozzle problem develop - was it there suddenly - or did the problem grow with more and more nozzles missing ? Are you doing refill or using original inks/cartridges ?
I think this was a pretty sudden change. I live in Boston and we’ve had some pretty big swings in temperature with winter holding on longer than expected. I think some drastic shifts in humidity might be the culprit. All of a sudden many nozzles were missing, but routine head cleaning brought them all back except the cyan. And I’m using original Epson ink cartridges.

spookymuffinman

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson Sure Color P900
since the missing nozzles for cyan are so symmetric I guess there is some electronic malfunction of the printhead sending signals to those missing cyan nozzles.. check if the signal ribbon is firmly attached to the print head.
Thank you for the thought! I’ll check on this later tonight and report back

spookymuffinman

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson Sure Color P900
does the nozzle check change after 24h? If so it could be air bubbles in the inks supply or inside the printhead. On my p900 I had no problems up to now but on my former Epson printers waiting for several hours helped to get rid of air bubble problems and the nozzlecheck was fine again.
Thank you — I’ll give this a go. Appreciate your help!

MooreDesignLabs

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
1430|3800|3880|P800|PRO-100
I think this was a pretty sudden change. I live in Boston and we’ve had some pretty big swings in temperature with winter holding on longer than expected. I think some drastic shifts in humidity might be the culprit. All of a sudden many nozzles were missing, but routine head cleaning brought them all back except the cyan. And I’m using original Epson ink cartridges.
That's not caused by temperature. I have to agree with Pharmacist here that it looks electrical. Look at how perfect the nozzle check is, the cyan doesn't look like a clog. It looks like a fault. With clogs generally you can see the progression happen and go away as you run the head cleaning operations.

spookymuffinman

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson Sure Color P900
That's not caused by temperature. I have to agree with Pharmacist here that it looks electrical. Look at how perfect the nozzle check is, the cyan doesn't look like a clog. It looks like a fault. With clogs generally you can see the progression happen and go away as you run the head cleaning operations.
Thanks for your reply -- any advice on where to begin troubleshooting an electrical issue like this one? Or is the print head toast?

MooreDesignLabs

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
1430|3800|3880|P800|PRO-100
Thanks for your reply -- any advice on where to begin troubleshooting an electrical issue like this one? Or is the print head toast?
It may not even be on the printhead itself. It could be on the motherboard or somewhere else on the printer. I wish I had more information for you.