Epson Stylus Pro 7800

William Seaward

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro 1, 10, 100
I've been thinking of getting the Pro 7800 off craigslist, but the printer has been sitting for quite some time and I'm certain that the ink is dried up. Is there any way that the printhead could be saved and get this printer running again without injecting mass amounts of $$$$? I have never owned an epson before, so my knowledge of these wide format printers is very limited.

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
hapuuh - buying a used printer in that condition - let me give you some hints. I got an used Pro 7600 several years ago via Ebay, a graphics shop closed, and somebody from accounting was selling the leftover stuff , he was not familiar with any hardware details , no usage info - technical status - infos from the service menue. And the product name was misspelled so only a few people were bidding. I told the seller that I would take the printer only under the condition that I could test a few things like the nozzle check, I downloaded the service manual beforehand and the service adjustment programm to easily read out the maintenance data. I went there after closing Ebay with a notebook and that service program, brought cartridges with me and tested the printer, it was almost new, just printed about 5 rolls of paper and was in good technical condition, it was just a backup unit in that shop. I got the Pro 7600 for a very low price this way. I did a similar deal with a Pro 4000 previously, the seller was a print shop, I went there , the unit was still in use and as well in good condition. I would not buy such a printer at any price with a risk of nozzle problems, if the buyer is not getting his printer in good selling condition I would be very cautious. Cars are polished up for sale and technically checked if it is a serious dealer. If you are familiar with the Epson large format models, doing service and this and that on it, it may be a different thing. Epson printheads are replaceable, but not always that easily, they are more permanent and last longer than Canon or HP printheads. If the waste ink reservoir is almost full that's not a problem, but other things may be, Epson is registering quite a lot of technical data, usage and wear data internally, number of head movements, cartridge changes, residual lifetime of the printhead, usage limits of mechanical parts etc. That maintenance software let you override or reset (at your risk) this or that parameter if the unit is still properly working .

William Seaward

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro 1, 10, 100
I have to do some research on this before I go further. If the price is good enough, I'd get it just to "Get my fingers dirty" and learn how it operates.