Epson refillable cartridges - my experience

leo8088

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
That's not my question, the Hat. My questions is in the next part of my message. Sorry, I am not an expert of Epson printers although I have had quite a few that I have tossed. It is something absolutely unheard of to me. New ink cartridge priming sequence? When did Epson new ink cartridges start to need a priming sequence? There is a print head priming sequence which is nothing new but a cleaning cycle sort of that Canon printers do it too. Now, what is exactly a new ink cartridge priming sequence?

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
A cartridge priming sequence is basically the same as a cleaning cycle, just requires a bit more ink.

It's the exact same thing that Canon printers do when you put in new cartridges, although less ink...

leo8088

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
Thanks for your explanation. But not because I don't believe you. I had a few Epson printers before. Each time a new or used ink cartridge is plugged in the printer will start a priming sequence. I did not notice any difference between a new ink cartridge or a used one. It was just like invoking a cleaning cycle. The term new ink cartridge priming sequence makes me wonder if it is something new and different and I am just not aware of it. If I am ignorant about it I apologize.

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
leo8088 said:
The term new ink cartridge priming sequence makes me wonder if it is something new and different and I am just not aware of it. If I am ignorant about it I apologize.
To be honest I started using that term myself although I couldn't tell you if it was because I picked it up or it just made sense... Either way, I think the reason it's come about as being "different" is not because of the physical process involved but the circumstances that trigger the process.

Cleaning cycles are either manually or automatically triggered by the user or by the software (some newer Epson printers having the auto clean function) whereas the priming cycle comes about when you put a new cartridge in.. It's certainly something I observed when the older ARC chips were used and had reset to 100%... This priming cycle was one of the key reasons that ARC's started resetting to 90-99% to avoid the cycle being triggered.

As for purpose... An educated guess would be that it purges any air that finds its way into the ink receiver/cartridge junction when a new cartridge is inserted.