Epson R800 Printer Driver Installation Problem

grandsire02

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I have just purchased an Epson R800 and seem to have a problem with (I assume) the driver installation. The driver appeared to install OK from the CD ROM supplied (I got a screen confirming this), except that a further screen appeared saying Found new hardware wizard. Cannot install this hardware. There was a problem installing this hardware. An error occurred during the installation of this device. Access is denied.

The printer appears to be working, well, sort of - it prints text documents OK though the colours on a photo I printed were not good (too light), and it won't print at all from one application (Paint Shop Pro)

Each time I turn on my PC I get the Found new hardware bubble in the bottom RH corner of the screen. When I click on this I get a further bubble that reads Found new hardware a problem occurred, hardware might not work properly I also get the Found new hardware wizard screen referred to above.

Ive uninstalled (via Add and Remove Programmes) and reinstalled the driver 2 or 3 times, rebooting each time but it makes no difference.

Im running XP Home SP2.

Where do I go from here?

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Two things. Start - Control Panel -
System - Device Manager

Are there any Yellow Warnings in there?
You may have a hardware conflict or problem. You will need to sort this out prior to installing the printer.

No warnings?

Next

Start
Printers & Faxes
How many times do you see your printer in there?
Get it down to 1 only
Reboot
Start
Printers & faxes
right click
properties
maintenance
see if it can check ink levels and print a nozzle check.

As for the light or faded colors, you will probably have to learn about color management and profiles in each software application and how it does it. It is possible that applications are placing multiple color profiles onto the ouput. Also the paper you are using will make a difference on the output but not as dramatic as you described.

grandsire02

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Have gone through the suggested check list:

1. No warnings in Device Manager (although no heading for 'printers' is listed there)
2. R800 only appears once in 'Printers & Faxes'
3. Nozzle check prints satisfactorily

Any further thoughts?

grandsire02

grandsire02

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Some further information: I've tested the printer on another PC now and everything worked fine on that one - the driver loaded OK and the printer printed satisfactorily. It therefore looks as if the problem is with my PC (a Windows glitch?). Just one thing I didn't mention before - each I turn on the PC and the print driver tries to reinstall, I also get a window advising that the driver software has not passed Windows Logo testing- do I want to continue anyway. I click on 'Yes' and it carries on. The version of the driver software that I downloaded from the Epson UK website specifically states that it has the Windows Logo - yet I still got the message saying it didn't have it.

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
I have a suspicion that your computer has some software that is hijacking the color management that you are not aware of. Go through every piece of software you have that uses the printer or has customized printing options and verify that it is not taking over the printer settings. Or alternatively, if you have the original software, remove each printing/graphics application until you get good printing like you had on another PC.
You did not mention which application you are using for your printing. That is very important.