Epson R3000 OEM ink carts

Digital10d

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Planning on buying this printer so googled UK prices. As always in life if the price is too good then either the company have none even though website says in stock or its a European model. However what I was not prepared for was when checking stock level told by a very helpful sales person that the printer only comes with partly filled carts, enough to prime and print just a few prints !! THEY MUST BE JOKING. I'm planning on not using OEM ink but not supplying a full set of carts is disgraceful. Is this actually true ?

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
The other alternative is to go with a Canon printer and get the full value cartridges with OEM inks.

Youd then have the choice of the Pro 1 or the cheaper Pro 10 as both
of these printers can be refilled but dont yet have a resetter available..

bobjoek

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
I purchased an Epson R3000 a year ago and it came with regular full cartridges. You may wish to check with other suppliers. Previously some sales persons have misinformed me about a printer coming with starter cartridges, when it really had regular cartridges. One thing to be aware of is the initial priming of the ink system on the R3000 will consume about 20% of the ink in the cartridges.

Bob

Digital10d

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Have a Canon Pro9000 and have considered Pro 1 but I'm on OSX and I'm fed up with the Canon print drivers not allowing you to turn off colour management. Want to print B&W, must be A3 and easy to refill, so am going back to Epson. Just checked the site I was looking at and under what's in box it clearly states starter carts only. Maybe this is something new, to reduce the price of the printer.

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
I don't know about Europe but in the USA the R3000 does sell with a full set of carts. The 20% consumption of ink used during the initial charging up of the carts is not really a waste of ink, other than some small final amount that goes into the waste pads, as with any inititialization on any new printer.
The ink is needed to fill all 9 lines and Print head / Carriage Dampers. It will be used to create prints. The beauty of printers with statianary cartridges is, at least in my expereince, when you add new ones there is not further lengthy purgin cycle as with printers with carts on the head.
Even the lowly Artisan 7xx/8xx series which in my view is a BABY R3000 with a scanner on top, does not perform a pruge after new carts are added. It will just communicate with the chips and say OK I am ready!

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Digital10d said:
Have a Canon Pro9000 and have considered Pro 1 but I'm on OSX and I'm fed up with the Canon print drivers not allowing you to turn off colour management. Want to print B&W, must be A3 and easy to refill, so am going back to Epson. Just checked the site I was looking at and under what's in box it clearly states starter carts only. Maybe this is something new, to reduce the price of the printer.
OSX can be a bit of a problem when you want to control your own colour management
but this can be overcome by implementing Boot Camp and running Windows in parallel..

Digital10d

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Problem is I hate windows. Sorry to all you windows fans but I just like the Mac OS. What I do not understand is if Epson in their print drivers have a no colour management option, why can't Canon.

victor99

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Digital10d said:
Planning on buying this printer so googled UK prices. As always in life if the price is too good then either the company have none even though website says in stock or its a European model. However what I was not prepared for was when checking stock level told by a very helpful sales person that the printer only comes with partly filled carts, enough to prime and print just a few prints !! THEY MUST BE JOKING. I'm planning on not using OEM ink but not supplying a full set of carts is disgraceful. Is this actually true ?
I guess they are trying to sell you more carts than you need initially?
back to the old day, the old printer like R1800 would only let you print some prints then you have to buy new carts, the R3000 however has larger capacity of inks and should last you a little bit longer.
if you plan to use non oem inks, I would suggest you take a look at inkrepublic.com , http://www.inkrepublic.com/R3000.asp , the setup can let you keep printing with cheaper cost, the IRK4 ink is also very good quality. I have been using their inks for a while. hope this helps.