Epson R2880 - Problem - Blinking Lights - Won't work

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
I should have the recently purchased refurbished 2880 up and running this afternoon. Now that I have the printhead out of the original machine, is there a particular manner in which that should be cleaned? I should be getting a replacement for the destroyed second guide in a few days.
In truth I've never tackled an Epson printhead out of the machine except a PX720WD and that was just placed on a few layers of kitchen paper towel soaked in cleaning solution.

If you still have the ink receivers attached you'll want to cover them, possibly with cleaning cartridges or some rubber covers of some kind to stop them drying out.

From memory though the reason for getting better access to the printhead was originally to re-attach the ribbon cable leading into the printhead rather than removing it completely but as we're here I suppose the opportunity might as well be grasped.

Alan Baily

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson R2880
From more research, the Epson 1400 printhead is put together similar to the 2880.

Alan Baily

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson R2880
This is a video that will help remove the printhead for a 2880. There is a tab in the back that is hard to find. It is for a 1400 but looks identical to a 2880. There is a second video that I saw, but can't now find, that describes how to clean the printhead once it is out of the machine. I am posting these things so that when someone else searches, they might have an easier time than I have had.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrepE5V1rjA

Alan Baily

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson R2880
Your pdf nozzle check is due to the golden flat pin of the printhead cable is not inline with the golden pin inside the printhead. Unplug the printhead cable from the printhead and re-insert the cable to the printhead, ensuring the white printhead cable golden flat pin is well inserted deep inside the printhead pin slot.
I am replacing the printhead piece that the two ribbon cables plug into. Is there a video or good description that describes how the cables get reinserted so I don't screw it up? The technical manual is not perfectly clear for a novice like me.

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
None that I know of, but if you have pictures of the relevant parts it should be feasible to work out what goes where. That and looking at the natural way the cables curve/fit into position.

Alan Baily

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson R2880
It's not that simple. The cable is razor thin and the place where you stick it in is also razor thin. There is very little that is "natural" to any of this. Isn't that why God invented Youtube? Some people make videos of opening up boxes.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Use a long needle nose pliers to hold the cable while inserting it.. :cool:

Alan Baily

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson R2880
This story has a very happy ending. No, I did not fix my printer. Since I bought the refurb 2880, I have not been in a hurry to deal with this. The 2880 refurbed works beautifully. I finally took the printhead out and replaced the electrical contact piece. Putting the ribbon cable back into it was very awkward. The real problem was trying to figure out how to put the two ribbon cables back into the printhead. I thought I had done it correctly but the cables don't seem to lie flat against each other. If anybody else does this, take photos before you pull something apart so you know how it goes back together. Now, for the good news. I was looking through Craigslist, as I sometimes do, and saw that someone was giving away a, supposedly functional, Epson 3800, along with some paper. All I had to do was pick it up. After a $35 cab ride (yes, this is New York City), I had it all home and looked over what I had actually gotten. At this point, I don't know if the printer even works. What I do know is that I received several hundred dollars worth of photo paper. Some as large as 17" x 22" (Epson Exhibition Fiber). Also, a full set of unopend ink cartridges (worth at least $400?). Even if the printer doesn't work, I'm still very far ahead. So, having been a recipient of such largesse, I will give away the 2880 I was working on, along with an older Epson 1400 that I was saving for possible use as a dedicated black and white printer. I believe the term is "pay it forward."

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Blimey! Well glad you got some satisfaction out of this and not too shoddy picking up a 3800 with paper into the bargain... Won't be long before you'll have 20+ printers and rueing the day but we'll let you enjoy the moment for now ;)

Shame you're America based or I'd collar that R2880 off you to see if I could figure it out but the shipping will doubtless be prohibitive. Reckon someone else will dive in though :)