Epson R1900 leaking problem

xz05kl

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Usually I get some leaking of black ink on the first and second paper, and then the rest is ok. But today, it happened over and over again, the paper came out all look very dirty with black mess at the very top (the edge of the paper) and at the bottom. I use refillable ink cartridges. What problem is that? And how can I solve it? Thanks!

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
You carts are leaking and the bottom of your head probably has ink build up that will be wiped onto the 1st couple of papers.
If you turn off the printer and let the print head park itself on the capping station. Let it rest for a while, turn the printer back on and the head rubber wiper will wope the bottom of the head during start up and should clean up the build up.
Also you check to see if the purge pad is covered with ink. It will look soaked.

All I can suggest is to either get a set of OEM replacements ( That will definitely solve your problem ) or get some good refillables from a reputable seller. I would suggest Precision Colors.

http://precisioncolors.com/E8C_ref.html

By the way I own and run two R1900 among over 15 printers. I have experienced the leaky carts when using cheapo refillable carts.

One more point. Check the fill plug to make sure it fits tight and does not leak air into the cart's ink chamber as that would start an ink deluge!

cls

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
8560, 8570, 1400, 1500W, P50 e
I have several R1800/R800 and used CHEAP refillable cartriges same happend to me before: the cartrige seal at the bottom on the refillable cartriges is of poor quality. since your gonna inserte and remove it more then 1x its most likely gonna wore out and there you have it a big mess...
I had to clean all my nozzles with qtips and lots of widex

costadinos

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
7900, 4900, 9890, R2000, P50
Had the exact same problem with my R2000, but only with some cheap China cartridges.
If you are indeed using some of these cheap models, try filling them to only about 50-60%, that "solved" the problem for me, whenever I filled them up to the maximum they would leak on the first couple pages.

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
Worth noting that while it's highly likely that the refillable carts are the root cause, the problem could also be a plugged waste ink tube.

The reason this causes problems is that the cleaning/priming routine will dump ink into the resting/cleaning pad (where the printhead normally rests or runs through cleaning routine) but if the waste pump/tube is not operating properly then the waste isn't drawn away and soils the underside of the printhead. End result is similar to what you're seeing.

Solution in this instance would be to flush out the waste tubes and identify whether the problem was the waste pads being over-saturated (backing up) or just a long period of non-use.

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
Absolutely. Had that heppened to me recently and had to back flush it in order to cleare it. That's why I asked him / her to check the purge pad surface.

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
jtoolman said:
Absolutely. Had that heppened to me recently and had to back flush it in order to cleare it. That's why I asked him / her to check the purge pad surface.
Mea Culpa, I hadn't spotted that... *blush*

Great minds n'all that.. ;)

xz05kl

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Thanks to everybody! The turn off and turn on solve the problem for now. I usually just leave the printer on. Never thought this could cause a big problem. Thanks so much!!! I thought my printer is going to repair.

I got my cartridges online and then got Precision Colors, the seller is so nice and helpful! I think I will get the cartridges later from him too.

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
You are in good hands with PC!