Epson PX710w updated itself ahhhhh

oddjob

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson px 710w
Hi People,

Looking for help, my Epson px710w has updated some how and now does not 'see' my refillable carts! So is there a simple solution? This has only just happened as I thought I had no updates set. If there is no solution is there a simple but good all in one that works well for the whole family and is easily refillable?
Printer is required for school and university, mainly printing as well as family photos and scanning.
Would appreciate any help regarding this Epson disaster.

Tigerman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MG5640, iX6840
try uninstall driver and install it again from CD for the printer.
then find where you can disable update permanent.

Last edited:

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
If you have been caught out by the sneaky upgrade then there’s probably nothing you can do with your current cartridge arrangement, you may have to get newer chips to back yourself back in business again, I'm not too sure on this so I reckon you’ll get a much better response if I’m wrong.

Lucas28

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson Pigment
Always disable updates on installing a new printer. It's also recommendable to make an image of the EPROM to undo firmware upgrades. I'm afraid it's too late for that now.:old

It seems that Epson cs is in war with their own customers...

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
Always disable updates on installing a new printer. It's also recommendable to make an image of the EPROM to undo firmware upgrades. I'm afraid it's too late for that now.:old

Is it possible to back up the firmware? If so how is this done, and how is the firmware restored in case of an unwanted upgrade?

Maybe an updated Epson could then be restored if an owner of a similar, but not updated Epson made the backup and could mail the backup file to the unlucky owner of the updated printer?

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
I always choose never update driver and never update firmware. I wan to determine myself. Even you choose to update driver only, Epson tends to slip in the option (already checked for you....) of updating the firmware too. So watch VERY carefully before doing so, but as long as I do not have problems: NO driver and certainly NO firmware upgrades for me.

Tigerman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MG5640, iX6840
can any please explain to us what differ between firmware and driver, even its look easy question??
** there is sometimes problems in printers communications like wifi signal between router and printer, so not always update not good maybe its cheat you but keep DVD to rolls back to original point.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
Like hardware and software, firmware is also difficult to explain in a few words. But I'll try.

Firmware is a software program that is stored internally in a hardware device by the manufacturer, and it is normally not user accessible/changeable, hence the name firmware. Firmware is used in many appliances, including printers. Accessing the firmware takes special programs/procedures.

The printer driver is a piece of software that is installed on the computer's harddisk. It can easily be deleted or updated by the user at will. If you update the driver and you prefer the older version, the new version can be deleted and the old version be reinstalled (if you still have the original disk or install files).

A driver update from a printer manufacturer might also contain the special code needed for changing the firmware. Updating the firmware without the user knowing or accepting is dishonest in my opinion, but the permission might be hidden in the "fine print" we tend to accept without reading, to get on with the install.

A firmware upgrade might be irreversible, as a special program is needed to change the firmware, and the manufacturer does likely not provide this for the old firmware versions.

More about firmware in this Wikipedia article.

This is not the best explanation; if anybody has a better one, please post it.

Last edited:

Tigerman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MG5640, iX6840
Thanks so much Peter BJ . :thumbsup

Even its brief explanation, but very helpful and give me great idea about updating driver, upgrading firmware, as you said its look like tug of war game between manufacturer and customers to let us surrender of being refilling more and more.

oddjob

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson px 710w
Thank you to all for the comments and advice.

Does anyone know where I could get these new chips that The Hat talks about?

The printer was great until this sneak attack by Epson. I let me my guard down and opened my firewall to allow something else in.I think my timing was bad and the printer updated something and no more use of refillable cartridges!

I still have the CD/DVD kicking around somewhere but I do not think this will be as simple as uninstall then re install printer and software. If it has updated the firmware I'm stuffed well and truly.

I will try the above and report back meanwhile if you have this type of printer please ensure nothing is updated by epson.
If this fails is there a way to update the firmware back to its previous working state?