Epson PX 830 FWD issue

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
While I remember... This is the guide I promised for removing and replacing inks in a CIS system:
http://www.octoink.co.uk/_video/_cis/replace-ink/

Please note the guide is valid for the models being discussed in this thread but doesn't cover the process for pulling through in one of the newer Expression XP-600 (or similar systems) as the cartridge outlet is completely different.

Tim

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson Artisan 837/Photo 1400
No to your first question about the ink patterns in my nozzle check. The first square, where the dark cyan should be, is completely blank. The other five patterns are perfect in colour and coverage.
As for the waste tank, I am using an old kit from another printer with just one tube. I just received the Printer Potty with two tubes, and have not had a chance to install it yet. I did not know until now that my machine (Artisan 837 - USA) had two tubes. As I suspect that the leakage is coming from the second tube, the new kit should fix that problem once I can install it. After that I will try your solution proposed above, but I have to leave town for a few weeks, and will probably not be able to do that until I return at the end of the month. I will let you know if that solves the problem, and thanks so much for your assistance.

Bart33k

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson Stylus Photo PX 830 FWD
I get those cyan smudges also after running a head cleaning. My nozzle check gives me five perfect squares and a blank spot on the far left where the cyan should be. Also, I removed the waste ink pad tray, and even with a tank connected to the waste ink tube, I get a lot of cyan ink leaking from the bottom of the printer, onto paper towels placed under the printer. When I get some time, I may put the printer onto a glass table, print some pages, and try to see where the cyan ink is escaping from the system.
I'm waiting for some cleaning stuff and chemicals I ordered lately and when I got them I'm going to do few different cleaning procedures. I'm gonna update results so if you're interested keep your eye on that thread.

Bart33k

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
While I remember... This is the guide I promised for removing and replacing inks in a CIS system:
http://www.octoink.co.uk/_video/_cis/replace-ink/

Please note the guide is valid for the models being discussed in this thread but doesn't cover the process for pulling through in one of the newer Expression XP-600 (or similar systems) as the cartridge outlet is completely different.
Big thanks. I was waiting for this straight away you mentioned it was completed at 95%. 100% I'm going to use it for my purposes.
Seems like the link doesn't work. At least for me. Page doesn't load. I get the monit like "Page can't be loaded as server didn't sent the data"

Bart33k

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
@Tim ... For clarity: Are you getting any of the cyan grid output on the far right in the same way that @Bart33k is?

My guess is that you have one of the earlier Solo-X kits which only has a single connection to the main waste ink tube and not the Duo-X which replaced the Solo-X. The difference is that the Duo-X type hooks up to an overflow tube that is difficult to spot and connect to. There's no official word but experience has taught me that it has a role in dumping ink when the main tube is blocked or the pump isn't running while waste is pooling in the pad. Basically akin to an overflow pipe.

That's probably a side issue but it backs up some of my earlier points about the Cyan seeping through slowly rather than flowing properly...

Still points to the issue being algae or similar.

@Bart33k : The above said though, I have a concern that the latest nozzle check you posted, had a number of cyan nozzle check marks on the far right as if the cyan was firing at a point when it shouldn't be.

I'm wondering if there's a secondary issue here that indicates a problem specifically with your particular printhead and/or the ribbon cable running into the printhead. It could be a result of the Cyan issue or an indicator for a different cause.

Worth keeping that in mind and avoiding the temptation to ass-u-me that one problem fits both of you.
What I worry the most is that the sealing between "ink chambers" inside of printhead got broke and cyan is leaking to magenta,light magenta and yellow channels. As you can see on my 6 colour purge pattern black, cyan and light cyan are ok. The rest is messed up. If I'm right (god forbid) I'm thinking can that be repaired (can those printer internal sealings can be repaired at all or thay are kind of "non repairable parts"). If not...well I assume my printer is completly done. On a contrary if that would be true I wouldn't get any M,LM and Y colours at all (i would get a colour of mixed cyan+M,LM,Y whatever they look like). There are some M,LM,Y prints on that purge pattern so that gives me hope for possibility of repairing it.
@Websnail - Can you briefly explain to me how to totally purge old ink from printer not CISS and with what to do that? Will distilled water do the trick? I'm thinking about flushing printer tubes and printhead with distilled water and the introduce into it a "cleaning ink" I ordered. Will that work at all? I'm not asking will that help. Just will that not damage more the printhead (distilled water)?
And Websnail please take a look at this
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free...20FWD-TX830-A835-A837-EP-904A/2039812995.html
That's a printhead fo TX series. Will that work with my PX? Waht's the difference between TX and PX anyway?
After some search things getting more interesting. Websnail could you tell me whats the difference between PX 830 and Artisan 837 model? They got the same manual. Is it the same model just that Artisan is for China market and PX is for the rest of the world? If yes and any of my repairs wouldn't help I could grab that printhead which is fairly cheap
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free...20FWD-TX830-A835-A837-EP-904A/2039812995.html
And as a last question. What model of printhead is in PX 830? Is it F192040. This shop says it is.
http://drukparts.pl/index.php?p3987...pson-px720wd-px730wd-px810fw-px830fwd-f192040
It's polish supliers but damn that is original PX 830 printhead and price for it is ridicolous. Almost 100 UK pounds. More then a half of a price of a whole new printer.

Last edited:

Bart33k

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
I'll refresh my post a bbit as lately I got back to trying to fix the issue with printhead. Short speaking I did all type of cleaning I could which didn't help at all. Lately I managed to buy used printhead so I installed it hoping it will bring my printer back to life, but...Now new issue showed up. Printer stopped recognizing CISS cartridges. I even bought as new set of cartidges. Same. It doesn't recognize it. I downgraded the firmware - same, nothing it didn't helped at all. I did all sort of printer restarts/cold restarts. I'm cornered at the moment. Has anyone any advice what I could try to do to make that work? I bought "new" printhead about which seller said it's working ok as he sell porinter on parts as scanner didn't work. I spoke with him on a phone he seemed to be truth speaking. Anyway i thought it will help but now I stucked with that damn "cartridges cannot be recognized" monit.

Shankar

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WorkForce 845
I'm not sure about the CISS cartridges you have, on mine there is a battery. When my CISS cartridges were not being recognized, I realized my battery was almost two years old, so I replaced the battery with a new one and printer recognized the carts.

Bart33k

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
I'm not sure about the CISS cartridges you have, on mine there is a battery. When my CISS cartridges were not being recognized, I realized my battery was almost two years old, so I replaced the battery with a new one and printer recognized the carts.
Hello. As far as I know my set of cartridges doesn't have any battery in it. 1 of them got reset button and the other one is just cartridges with chip plates attached to them. I'm so frustrated by this issue. I thought that finally I'll fix it with new printhead but instead I got different problem now. What's interesting after I installed newly bought second hand printhead it worked for 2 nozzle check printouts. They wasn't perfect but at a time printhead didn't suck enough ink I think as ink wires from cartridges to printhead weren't fully filled (it was visible). I printed out 2 nozzle checks and then it stopped recognizing cartridges and stuck at that state.