Epson Printers intermittent errors R1800/R2400

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
I obtained a used R2400 that had reportedly been diagnosed as to having intermittent communication errors.The prior owner was told that it would cost more than the printer was worth to fix it and that the mainboard needed replacement. The problem was that during printing, it would stop printing and just spit out the paper. This could not be reliably repeated. But it definitely had a gremlin inside. It also acted weird with random fits of the printhead assembly going back and forth with small priming cycles even as it sat there....

My initial diagnosis was that it needed a new power supply rather than mainboard. So I went out and obtained an older R1800 which the owner claimed to be not working which was supposed to have the same power supply. Before I started the transplant I did some checking and a search on the WWW.

Doing a search revealed that while not a common problem among all machines, those affected had common symptoms exactly as I had experienced except no one mentioned the random starts on the printhead assembly which was not supposed to happen. This BTW would eventually use up the ink in the printer.

On one forum, it had been mentioned that stuffing cardboard into the power switch gap would fix it. many had had the printer repaired by having the mainboard replaced and sometimes that did not fix it. That had me thinking. It now made sense. When the printer had the random stops and starts, the printhead was actually doing the startup routine when power is applied. Further testing, showed that when the printer stopped printing it would be caught doing the same thing as well. This was an important observation.

Then I decided to start to softly tap the power switch. Bingo. The printhead would begin its motions. Similarly tapping the power switch during printing would induce the same action.

Upon dis-assembly which is quite easy for the 2400/1800, I examined the power switch. I thought that it was a cold solder joint as it had some small pads as well as a large landing. Cold solder joints on the large landings are common solder issues in a lot of consumer electronic equipement. So I reflowed the solder and made sure the joints were good. Without the cover back on, I turned the printer on and tapping the switch directly did not induce any actions. Problems solved...... I reassembled the 2400 and began using it,

After a day or so, I noted once that it did do a random head movement. Hmmmm.... problem has returned. Now I really need to transfer that power supply.
I was not convinced it was the power supply. So I delayed the transfer. Tapping the switch could make the machine lose power again.

Then I thought about how the switch cover fits over the switch on the circuit board and the real problem surfaced. If the switch mounted on the circuit board is too tall, or the front switch fascia on the body is too thick or the switch extension is not fully extended into the tunnel, the push on push off switch would be continually depressed ready to go off.

The solution was to get the switch fully extended. The first try was to force the switch into full extension by pushing the power button fully in and not stop when the printer turns on. This would force the switch extension deeper into the switchface.

Problem was fixed.

I am sure that there were countless printers repaired, exchanged, discarded, sold etc. Some will be repaired by accident through the process of assembly and disassembly rather than the replaced mainboards.

So if you have an 1800 or 2400 that has this issue or know of one, the solution is simple. Try just pushing the power switch as far as it can go to start the machine. That will likely solve the problem.!!!!!!

If that does not solve the problem, just remove the length of the switch extension or place some small washers between the switch circuit board and body.

Now I have an extra working R1800.!!!! I fixed that one too ...just a dirty rubber wheel. Too many printers now.

Happy printing!

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
mikling
I read through your thread and found it amazing, well done with your diagnosis.
That problem would have dogged a lot of people and caused them to dump their printer in the trash.
It just goes to show that everything isnt Black & white, but a good eye can spot something that no one else can see.
I think you have made a lot of worried R1800/R2400 Epson owners very happy with you thread, thank you.. :)

ink_junkie

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Great job of diagnosing that gremlin, this is really good information to have sitting on the shelf. These problems could be the cause of many consumer electronics failures.