Epson Photo Stylus 1400 Cartridge Chips

rckowal

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Can some one tell me what the difference is between these chips?

1. OEM chip with 9 square contacts (maybe 3 year old cartridge)

2. An old (1 - 2 years) CIS chip with elliptical shaped contacts?

Richard

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
No, but I know both works great. I am now testing two types of CISS on my Epson Photo 1400 printer. Don't bother about it, as long as it works.

rckowal

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
pharmacist said:
No, but I know both works great. I am now testing two types of CISS on my Epson Photo 1400 printer. Don't bother about it, as long as it works.
But what if they don't work great - as is the case some times.

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
The elliptical landings are to save chemicals used in etching copper. The position if the contacts are the same. The curved shape produces less defects and provides for an easier etch.

The firmware both within the printer and on the chips are what makes the character of the way the chips can work. For CISS systems the early versions of the 1400 are highly desirable withTRUE autoreset capability if paired with older chips. Newer verisons of the printer won't allow this.

So suppose you had an old 1400 with older chips that did this real auto reset thing and then the 1400 dies and you get a new 1400. Guess what, the old chips won't work with the newer printer. Does that make the chips defective or bad? At the same time, you can't tell if the new 1400 you got might have old firmware that allows autoreset but then you get the new chips that require some sort of manual intervention yet not using what might have been better.

You have to understand what happens electronically between the chip as well as the printer. Epson makes the matching difficult.

rckowal

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Thanks Mikling for the clear & direct reply.

The firmware both within the printer and on the chips are what makes the character of the way the chips can work. For CISS systems the early versions of the 1400 are highly desirable withTRUE autoreset capability if paired with older chips. Newer verisons of the printer won't allow this.
Am I to understand then that I will have to/or not have to manually reset the original OEM chips that came with my early version (2006 - 2007) Photo 1400 if they become empty, I refill them but use them as refillables?

So suppose you had an old 1400 with older chips that did this real auto reset thing and then the 1400 dies and you get a new 1400. Guess what, the old chips won't work with the newer printer. Does that make the chips defective or bad? At the same time, you can't tell if the new 1400 you got might have old firmware that allows autoreset but then you get the new chips that require some sort of manual intervention yet not using what might have been better.
How about the same Photo 1400 with vintage 2008 CIS cartridges with elliptical landing chips. Would they have to be/not be reset manually as well? Or will such chips always read that the cartridges are not empty?