Epson photo L800 whit original CISS system " ink resistance"!

thanhhuy123

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
HP Deskjet Ink Advantage 5525
Hi everyone,

I just found 3 interesting stuffs:
http://www.epson.com/pdf/epsonink.pdf
http://www.epson.com.sg/sites/epson_singapore/L-Series_FAQ/L-Series_FAQ.page
http://www.wilhelm-research.com/epson/WIR_Epson_L355_and_L800_2014_08_20.pdf

According to these papers, ink in the Epson L series printers are NOT fade and water resistant, especially when printed with plain paper. Now, we can surely confirm that the ink bottles used for L series including L800, are not Epson DuraBrite or even Epson Clara. It's just normal cheap dye ink.

PS: I'm trying to dig some information out regarding the M series, which is believed to use the black pigmented ink. Not sure if it's true and not sure if it's a true Epson DuraBrite Black pigment ink or just normal cheap pigment ink.

Tudor

Print Addict
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson L800, 1400; ML-2165W
L800 uses dye inks, so we know it's not Durabrite, or Ultrachrome, or K3, or any other "cheap pigment ink"... And it's not Claria, it's just another Epson dye ink. Is there a dye ink that is water resistant on plain paper? Also see this regarding compatible Durabrite inks (pigment!): http://www.wilhelm-research.com/epson/WIR_Epson3rdParty2007_09_11.pdf
The price for L800 OEM inks is 50% higher than for IS Claria compatible inks. Where can I find a comparison between the two for fade resistance and gamut?

Here is the profile I use for L800 with OEM inks on Lidl(Sihl) glossy photo paper:

Screenshot 2015-01-05 12.44.33.png

I also attached the OEM profile for L800 Epson Ultra Glossy

Attachments

• L800_OEM_Sihl_UG_Photo_C1500p_sRGB.zip
    1.3 MB · Views: 430
  • L800 Epson Ultra Glossy.zip
    564.9 KB · Views: 442
Last edited:

martin0reg

Printer Master
Reaction score
@Tudor
I have no L800 (only a L300) but I will try the profile on my R285 with different inks.

Anyway: Thank you for posting your profiles! Much appreciated!
..especially for papers available in europe like aldi/sihl or other reasonable sorts (just found "label heaven" on amazon, very cheap but good enough for daily stuff)

If I had a really matching one for my L300 I will certainly post it too..but did not got it yet..
..BTW a thread with collected profiles would be a nice thing..

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
I reckon @martinOreg might have hit on something that would please a lot of guys who love to use Profiles for their different papers.

So come guys, who’s going to start it off with the very first one, maybe @Tudor can repost his to get the ball rolling and then we might be able to get a sticky for the thread, just like @PeterBJ with the service Manuals..
Right on Martin.. :thumbsup

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
Curious to know how this is going...

In particular given the obvious comparison of P50 vs' L800, etc... Is there really anything more to these L series printers other than removing the chip requirement and thus the potential headaches with resetting + wasteful priming routines?

Given the obvious difference in price for the L series printers against their comparable non CIS version I'm struggling to see the advantages, particularly given the inks reported poor performance.

The other point I've been pondering is just how the OEM compares to any of the current crop of Claria compatible inks and indeed OEM Claria ink. From the data available so far it sounds like Epson didn't want to provide a decent ink in bulk, but as noted earlier, how that compares to the compatible inks, particularly given the OEMs price for refills is going to be of interest. Are they simply banking on OEM brand coupled with warranty scare tactics and low price to keep the bulk of the market?

Something else the occurred to me is whether there's some weight to a suggestion @The Hat made some time back about simply using compatible dye like standard OCP or whatever and simply profiling for that instead of choosing the OCP specific blend? Are there any limitations in place to block profiling, changes in the way the ink is laid down or some other quirk to catch folks out.

martin0reg

Printer Master
Reaction score
Is there really anything more to these L series printers other than removing the chip requirement and thus the potential headaches with resetting + wasteful priming routines?

You are right, nothing more than a ciss...but simply the best possible ciss, designed and integrated by epson, no trouble with self made tubing and resetting.
If the extra charge compared to the cartridge model is about 100euro/usd, I would not hesitate to buy one again...if I had to add 150euro or more I had to think it over...
I have bought the smallest model L300 for 150euro - and it is running smooth and easy...

As I already said earlier in this thread: the biggest disadvantage is no claria in bottles...but if there was claria in bottles - how could epson sell any claria cartridges...?!

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon, Brother, HP, Ricoh etc.
As I already said earlier in this thread: the biggest disadvantage is no claria in bottles...but if there was claria in bottles - how could epson sell any claria cartridges...?!

Yes this would be impossible to sell carts then, but I read the L800 dye inks supposedly are way better than OCP, Inktec dye inks. If anyone would make tests to confirm this would be nice.

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
Yes this would be impossible to sell carts then, but I read the L800 dye inks supposedly are way better than OCP, Inktec dye inks. If anyone would make tests to confirm this would be nice.
Do you have any source links for the claims* @Smile ? Be interesting to gauge if they're likely unbiased or not.

*EDIT: Meaning that I'd be interested to see who has made the claims about OEM being better and how reliable they are likely to be.

Thought I'd better clear up any potential confusion as I realised my original post sounded like I was being overly aggressive when I wasn't intending to be. My question was simply out of curiosity.

Last edited:

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon, Brother, HP, Ricoh etc.
You can read about this on resetters russian forum and another one http://вбухте.рф/, sorry no links as I didn't make any bookmarks.