Epson P800 Ink cartridge region encoding query

mtw1

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
epson p800
Hi, I've recently bought some ink for my P800 on eBay, the ink looks genuine but it says 'Korea only' on the box. I have read that ink can be region coded so there's a possibility it won't work on my UK Epson. The seller assures me they had no problems but they may have encoded their printer to print with ink only for the Korean market or they may be lying.

I am reluctant to try them yet as my printer still has plenty of my old ink in it.

Can anyone advise me about this?

Thanks

Mark

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Ink itself is not coded. Maybe one day ink will somehow be, but not yet.

What may be region coded are chips on ink cartridges. This is currently occurring and those chipped cartridges will only be recognized by printers manufactured for that specific region.

Another situation may be the manufacturer has marked the ink for distribution only in Korea, possibly for accounting and logistical purposes.

Another possibility, doubtful as it is, is that the ink may be of greater or lesser quality, and that quality of ink is earmarked for distribution to certain areas only. I once bought some blank DVD's from a California store that turned out to have much higher burn error rates than previous stock. The DVD's were supposed to be sold in Mexico as B-Grade disks but somehow ended up for sale out of California at the full cost of A-Grade stock. The reputable and honorable disk manufacturer out of Japan was not happy.

If you want, post the link to the eBay sale and we'll give you our best opinion on the situation.

mtw1

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
epson p800
Ok thank you for the reply.
I'm probably just going to send it back I think as by the time I open it my right as the customer will be lessened. I can't find out conclusively online if they'll work