Epson p800 ejecting print when half finished..

craig carr

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-1000
I just recieved my epson p800 today.
I have printed off about 20 prints today. On 8 occasions it stopped printing half way, ejected the paper then started printing it again. On one occasion the second print also ejected to start again..

The printer is connected to my router via the ethernet.. The printer is connected via the USB to my surface pro 4 and I'm printing via photoshop.

This is the exact same setup as I had my r3000 but not once did it spit the print out and restart it..

I've hunted for an answer and I've had a look through all the settings and can't see anything so thought I'd ask here before I contact epson..

Any ideas.

Thanks in advance

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
you may try to connect the printer temporarily directly to the computer testing it there with the same type of print jobs - this would allow you to identify and separate possible causes - like connection problems - wrong format settings - or some other things. Please use a short USB cable - you may get data transmission problems with longer cables - a 3 m cable may work with one printer model but not with another - the differences are in the interface chips. I remember that some USB ports on routers are not implementing the USB interface sufficiently - one piece of hardware may work but not another USB device - it could be a firmware problem in that case with the USB device driver . Do you have other connection options like LAN or WLAN ?

Last edited:

craig carr

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-1000
you may try to connect the printer temporarily directly to the computer testing it there with the same type of print jobs - this would allow you to identify and separate possible causes - like connection problems - wrong format settings - or some other things. Please use a short USB cable - you may get data transmission problems with longer cables - a 3 m cable may work with one printer model but not with another - the differences are in the interface chips. I remember that some USB ports on routers are not implementing the USB interface sufficiently - one piece of hardware may work but not another USB device - it could be a firmware problem in that case with the USB device driver . Do you have other connection options like LAN or WLAN ?

Thanks, I assume it's the USB cable as I done it wireless and not had the issue for the last 24hr.
Cable works fine with the r3000 still.
:)

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
That sounds fine if WLAN is a good option for you as a permanent solution,

craig carr

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-1000
That sounds fine if WLAN is a good option for you as a permanent solution,
Yup, I'm just gonna rock that from now on, Not sure if you remember about my post when I first got the r3000, I had the opposite issue. It was terrible on WLAN but awesome on that very cable so I just figured I'd do that exact setup with the P800, :)

te36

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
various
IMHO, wireless printing is in general more risky than wired. Speed can slow down for various reasons (microwave, other user streaming video,...). And i have seen Epsons softwre stack not recover from slowdown. Or time ot and loose prints.

On ethernet you should be able to avoid these problems. Try to find your wired print problem. Have the PC you print from and the printer connected to the same router, and disconnect everything else from that router. Including Internet. Then print and check it works. Then start to connect step by step your remaining gear. If the printer has problems incurred by other equipment, you could always try to connect it poin-to-point to a PC from which you print (USB or different ethernet port on PC).

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
there are several details to consider - a LAN connection, the protocol can detect transmission errors, an USB connection cannot, that is just made for short connections. There are USB device or print servers on the market to emulate an USB connection via LAN so that you can place a printer further away via that virtual USB connection. That works in lots of cases, for printers, not always for scanners or other USB devices like USB sticks. The same applies to USB printer ports on routers, it depends how well that virtual USB connection is implemented in firmware and a driver.
When it comes to WLAN it helps to use an app on a tablet or smartphone which shows how the channels are used and their signal level, only a few WLAN channels are typically occupied by the default settings, and these channels may get clogged up, just switching to another unused WLAN channel in the router can solve lots of such problems using a WLAN channel without interference by other traffic.

te36

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
various
The problem with WiFi is that there are many factors you can not influence and that can change over time: neighbors with APs, parallel clients, microwaves, any type of motor (dish/washer, dryer, heater, phones, ...) - you name it. Even 5 years ago or earlier, commercial WiFi solutions tried to recognize and localize (triangulation) more than 30 different permanent or temporary spectrum error sources. And then there is crappy home devices WiFi driver and networking software. See XP-900 (no wired).

Ideally, you have a print-server (PC, raspberry PI, ...) directly connected to the printer via USB or a point-to-point ethernet cable and print remotely via that print-server. Transfer whole jobs to print server, and only then start printing. Works with any imaginable type of networking to the print server including 300bps modems or wifi ;-)