Epson might as well foot the bill for my wine addiction....

4POLG

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
EPSON L1800 DTF
Hello friends,

Let me start by saying, I am a wife; opinionated, stubborn and obsessive. Being said, there shouldn't be a man in this world that doesn't understand the reason behind this disclosure... Since the beginning of time there has only been one source that I have ever dared to confide in or ask for help, and that is YouTube. Today, they have been unsuccessful in helping me solve my problem which, to me, is unacceptable; they've always had the answers... (Swallows pride) A little background made simple, I HATE EPSON PRINTERS! My husband and I launched a home business a few years back designing custom apparel; we have learned how to grow our brand throughout the years through different types of techniques including sublimation, transfers, vinyl and DTF. I love it.... until something goes wrong.... and the only times that has happened is on an EPSON printer. I finally, after many failed attempts and zero help from support - gave up on our sublimation printer, an EPSON (rolls eyes); I spent weeks trying to repair it after only 6 uses. So, we looked (for months) at our options and agreed on a simple DTF printer off Amazon. I spent a good amount of time researching the product before buying, read all the reviews, weighed the good and the bad; it wasn't like going to Walmart and purchasing a $200 - $300 printer, this was a huge expense. Fast forward to the present; our printer arrived and is all set up; we were able to navigate (without a manual) installing the software and bypassing the firewall.... it's been 30 days since arrival and to date, we have been able to complete 8 out of 132 shirts on just one (first of 8) active customer order(s). After re-arranging a few internal cables/threads, I was able to print 4 images until the next print; I allowed the printer to do it's thing, once it completed I pulled the print to find a saturated film with puddles of black ink dripping from the page.... with the support of my friends in the China Tech department, I dismantled the printhead and cleaned the ribbons and printhead entirely (I must mention 4 times), doing a printhead cleaning cycle and several nozzle checks with the same end result. My dear friend in China (who I swear repeatedly mocks me through facetious comments) says "My friend, in your situation, the print head is in ink, and you must replace printhead, printhead cable and motherboard with new one.", he continues "This is caused by accidental spilling of ink into the print head." My reaction was simple, UH NO! STOP THERE! I replied, "If I am printing images, with no contact with the ink via tubes or chambers, other than the printer itself clearing it's ink waste - couldn't have possibly nor accidentally spilled ink in to the print head." It didn't matter at this point, in their eyes it was a mistake on my part and I must replace the printhead, cables and motherboard which is not covered under the printers warranty.

Here is the reason I come to you. I have personally wiped all areas of the printhead and cleared (with solution) each line to ensure no blockage (YBWWCMB) and continued until (with minimal pressure to ensure I did not disturb the internal fittings/gaskets) until the output was clear. I repeated this process numerous times, going through the take apart and put back together process. I do my test print and low and behold I am left with a page soiled in piles of ink... Please, help me find a way to not only fix this issue but to ensure that I don't find myself in this very situation another 8 prints down the line. I am not going to lie, this has me seriously contemplating pulling a 2007 Brittney Spears moment where I go bat sh*t crazy and shave my head... not really but close. I believe that this process happened during the printers programmed process during the clearing of the ink waste and was in no way an error on my part. I have searched and I have yet to find anyone with this same issue, let alone finding a solution to our dilemma. I have stopped production which has caused a lot of tension between myself and our customers, who have paid for something that I can not produce at the moment.

Please know, that when responding, I have a basic level of experience but there are a lot of things that will require an explanation in laymen's terms.... I'll be honest.... I have read a few replies and it is an entirely different language that google can not translate in a single search. (But any help is greatly appreciated!!!!)

Attachments

• IMG_0515.jpg
    IMG_0515.jpg
    126.6 KB · Views: 151
  • IMG_0516.jpg
    IMG_0516.jpg
    584.3 KB · Views: 151
  • IMG_0517.jpg
    IMG_0517.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 144

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
DTF - 'direct to fabric' ? Am I right to assume that the printer has been modified for this purpose ? What are the changes ? Do you have a link to the supplier/manufacturer for these printers ?
Which type of inks are you using ?
Do you have a service manual available ?
Can you run a nozzle check on regular paper ?
Which software is involved - the Epson standard driver or some special software by the supplier ?
The L1800 is an inktank model - do you see any airbubbles in the tubing and/or are the tubes completely filled with ink ?
Do you do any special cleaning after you have done some prints ?
Is this your first experience with such a DTF printer ?

4POLG

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
EPSON L1800 DTF
DTF - 'direct to fabric' ? Am I right to assume that the printer has been modified for this purpose ? What are the changes ? Do you have a link to the supplier/manufacturer for these printers ?
Which type of inks are you using ?
Do you have a service manual available ?
Can you run a nozzle check on regular paper ?
Which software is involved - the Epson standard driver or some special software by the supplier ?
The L1800 is an inktank model - do you see any airbubbles in the tubing and/or are the tubes completely filled with ink ?
Do you do any special cleaning after you have done some prints ?
Is this your first experience with such a DTF printer ?
DTF - Direct to film. This type of printer uses a CIS with a specific type of DTF ink/PET film transfer ink. I have been requesting a copy of the manual from the supplier since day 6 with no success. I have the ability to Skype with the tech people in China, however, it is difficult due to the language barrier in regards to communication and comprehension.
I ran a nozzle check and the result is the first image attached to my post. I dismantled the printhead and cleaned it, bleeding each of the colors until it ran clear. Afterwards, I reassembled the printer and ran a test print which resulted in the same ink saturated paper. I repeated these steps 3-4 times until finally giving up.

To answer your other questions:
- Yes, this is my first time dealing specifically with a DTF printer
- There are no visible bubbles in the lines
- I haven't used the printer long enough (considering we go from one problem to another) to develop a cleaning routine; however, the printer has a "White Ink Management System" and a White ink "mix and recycle" feature which is supposed to minimize printhead clogs. I am strongly convinced that this is the reason for my problem currently because I had printed 4 images prior and was attempting another when this happened. ** I do clear the recycle tank after we are done for the day to ensure that it is clear; this is done through tubing on the back side of the printer using a syringe. **

Below
is the completed print just prior to the river of ink issue.

Attachments

• IMG_0519.JPG
    IMG_0519.JPG
    95.4 KB · Views: 142

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
You are apparently not the only one having problems with the 'Whie ink system', there was another recent posting expressing a similar level of frustration by @Hypnoandy

https://www.printerknowledge.com/threads/3800-destroying-my-mental-health.15126/

I'm running an L1800 printer - but just with regular dye inks, and this does not explain at all which modifications had been done to the ink supply system e.g. parts replacements to withstand another type of ink - probably solvent based.

RWL

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
I can't answer your technical question, but it sounds to me like you've got a defective printer. Document all you've done and ask Amazon for a refund or replacement printer.