Epson L8180 (ET8550) no Ultra premium luster paper type

rob984

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson L8180
Hi all! Few days ago I bought Epson L8180 here in Croatia, and I bought some papers for photo print. With Epson Glossy, HP Advanced I have no problem, photos are great! But with Solution Daily Luster 240g I encountered some problems when I was printing borderless. Printer started to make some odd noise like clicking at the end of the print, and I saw some black ink smudges later on some bordered photos I printed out. Those black smudges appear at the end of the printed photo, just in corners. I guess this is because of the paper selection, I used Epson Semigloss or glossy as media type.

I can't find anywhere on the printer or in Windows selection for Epson Ultra Premium Photo Paper Luster, it's just missing, all of the other photo paper are there, but not EUPPL.
Is there any chance to get that paper type installed in my printer or in drivers?

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
You should check that the papers stay flat in the printer - it is most likely a paper problem when corners get smudged. From where are you feeding the papers ? Which paper format are you using ?

Last edited:

rob984

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson L8180
You should check that the papers stay flat in the printer - it is most likely a paper problem when corners get smudged. From where are you feeding the papers ? Which format are you using ?
Thanks for your reply. I'm using Rear paper feeder and A4 240g Luster paper. I did not get this problem with Epson's glossy or some Orink cheap glossy paper.

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
Glossy papers - non OEM papers - tend to bend differeent ways - strong or not so strong or not at all - you don't know it before you purchase such paper - here is an example

https://www.printerknowledge.com/th...-budget-level-glossy-papers.14865/post-129485

If the paper is not flat even before you print just bend it slightly into the opposite direction, you can avoid smaller problems when you select thick paper via the driver - in the extended settings via the mainentance tab - 'Thick paper and envelopes', Make a test and look for the print quality - it may drop slightly or not.

Try to use the Epson Ultra Glossy paper settings for your Epson Premium Luster

Last edited:

rob984

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson L8180
You are right, it's up to the paper. I tried to bend it before printing, and it helps a bit, but what helps the most is if I raise the print up when it's coming out, that way I have way less black ink on the white edges of border.
If I put some kind of paper tape on the border, will it do harm to the printer?

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
Cast coated glossy papers - budget papers - have a paperlike back side - these papers typically bend and curl - even before printing, and even more after the print - the solvent causes it in the coating and the paper. the better papers - Canon or Epson - and from some other suppliers - are of the PE type - the paper carrier is sandwiched between PE - polyetylen films on both sides and under the coating, this prevents the solvent to get into the paper and start curling it. But when you buy a glossy 3rd party paper you don't know which type of paper you'll get - the seller does not specify it in most cases. Just find a practical way for your paper to get the best printout.

randyr5

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson ET-8550
Hi all! Few days ago I bought Epson L8180 here in Croatia, and I bought some papers for photo print. With Epson Glossy, HP Advanced I have no problem, photos are great! But with Solution Daily Luster 240g I encountered some problems when I was printing borderless. Printer started to make some odd noise like clicking at the end of the print, and I saw some black ink smudges later on some bordered photos I printed out. Those black smudges appear at the end of the printed photo, just in corners. I guess this is because of the paper selection, I used Epson Semigloss or glossy as media type.

I can't find anywhere on the printer or in Windows selection for Epson Ultra Premium Photo Paper Luster, it's just missing, all of the other photo paper are there, but not EUPPL.
Is there any chance to get that paper type installed in my printer or in drivers?

I have the 8550 (US) and it has the Ultra Luster paper choice. Do you have the latest firmware?