Epson ET-7750 print register issues from rear feeder

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
I don't know this Arches HP paper, but you are right that pigment inks on uncoated papers deliver more color saturation than dye inks in lots of cases, but I recommend you to test that - on another printer which already runs on pigment inks. The improvement may be marginal - it all depends very much on the ink/paper combination.
precisioncolors is offering pigment inks for the ET-8550

https://precisioncolors.com/ET8550.html

or other pigment inks suitable for printers like the R3000 and similar.

converting back from pigment inks to dye inks is practically impossible as I have experienced it on similar printers.

pdan

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson ET-7750
Arches is a pure cotton paper used mainly for watercolour paintings. I print all my b/w photos on this paper with a dedicated printer using a carbon ink set.

I have a set of clour pigment inks for the et-7750 from Octoinkjet as recommended by Martin ( of Octoinkjet ).

But I'm still debating with myself, as you say, converting back could be impossible.

Last edited:

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
You may try aquarell - watercolour inkjet papers before you convert the inkset. Some papers like this one

https://www.amazon.de/PPD-Inkjet-Aquarell-Giclée-Papier-ppd-74-25/dp/B07BSHMTPX
https://www.amazon.de/22-Cold-Aquarell-Art-Inkjet-25-Blatt/dp/B00Q759J0Y

should be available in your country as well.

I ran a L1800 with pigment inks - no problem - but the change back to dye inks left me with a few missing nozzles, the same for an L805, even after hefty cleanings; that printer is now clean after about 10 000 pages printed of misc/internet stuff. I don't have a problem with an cartridge based WF2010W which I use for testing - both pigment and dye inks in different cartridges.

Last edited:

pdan

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson ET-7750
Yes. There are other options for watercolour style inkjet papers. I prefer using Aches for two main reasons; firstly, its about 1/4 the price of inkjet paper . Secondly, I like the look and feel of prints on Arches paper.
However, I do get the occasional issue with a 'grainy' or "mottle" look on certain parts of the print. So, I assumed this is due to using dye inks and that using pigment inks would lessen the issue.

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
I don't have experience with such watercolour papers - inkjet or not. I only can recommend in this case to find a way to get or print testprints with pigment inks on your papers to see whether the improvement - which you expect - really would support the inkset conversion

pdan

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson ET-7750
Your mention of the Workforce printer reminded me I once had one, over ten years ago. I remember doing prints with it on art papers. I found some old prints and an old hard drive with the photos on. I was able to do as you suggested; compare the pigment print with the newly printed dye print. The pigment print is better on uncoated matte paper.

I've just converted the printer to pigment inks. Done four cleaning cycles. Nozzle check is improving, but will wait till tomorrow for further testing.

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
I hope you didn't get air into the tubes, that could require some more effort. The WicReset utiliy should offer you an 'ink charge' command listed under the cleaning options, it does what the name says but wastes quite some ink which goes into the waste ink box. There are other ways to get it done. You release the printhead with a power on/off cycle and a disconnect of the power cable. The top of the printhead is covered by a plastic cover held by 1 or 2 screws as I remember. The tubes are connected to dampers, cartridge like inserts in the printhead which you can take out one by one, you insert a syringe into the ink outlet and pull the ink through the resp. color tube from the reservoir - the dye ink or the pigment ink. The little reservoir in the damper should be filled by about half - not full, you can pull air from the damper by turning the outlet with the syringe plugged in to the top. Do not disconnect the tube from the damper - it's a little bit fiddly, you can disengage the tubes from the last holding bracket. This way you do not get any air up to the nozzles, and I do not recall nozzle problems with my ink conversions.

pdan

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson ET-7750
Thanks!
Do I need to do this with the respective colour caps open on the front ink fill unit.
What is WicReset?

pdan

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson ET-7750
Not sure what you mean by the currrent status