Epson CX4600 not recognizing full cartridges

rocks911

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I have an Epson CX4600 that has provided me good service for several years now. I have always used after market cartridges I purchase from ABCink.com but increasingly they are not working.
It used to be that occasionally a cartridge would not be recognized after installation and I'd have to replace it. It is becoming more of a problem and it seems the red ink light is always blinking. I just installed all new cartridges and was able to print for some time but now it shows that 2 of the cartridges are empty when in fact they are almost completely full.

Can this be fixed, or is it time for a new printer?

RWP

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Does the printer still print well when all the carts are being properly recognized? If so, at least the print head is still good.

Could be your cart supplier is having QC problems with recent batches (unreliable chips) or maybe the chip contacts in your printer are becoming corroded and giving poor electrical contact? Certain models of Epson printers were notorious for flakey chip recognization -- even with OEM chips! But usually this problem presented when the printer was new, not years later. Might be worthwhile to try another cartridge supplier and brand in case it is just a bad batch of carts...

rocks911

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply.
Yes it prints fine, it printed just yesterday, full color no problem. Today blinking ink light.
I suppose I could contact ABCink as I have used only their cartridges for the life of this printer. Certainly it could be a bad batch but they have always worked for me. The thing is that the newest bunch of cartridges I installed worked fine, then the ink light started blinking for whatever reason and there is still a lot of ink in the cartridges.

RWP

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Did the electrical contacts for the cart chips look clean and shiney?

rocks911

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
The contacts were definitely clean and shiny. I installed a new set of cartridges and it's working now, we'll see if this continues.
Thanks for taking the time to help and post, I appreciate it.
Until next this thing acts up...peace