Epson compatible cartridges

isjheatherlea11

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
HELP! I have an Epson SX205. I have been using non-Epson compatible cartridges no problem at all for several months. All of a sudden my printer won't print and when I change to a new cartridge (a make I have successfully used previously) the software is telling me it does not recognise the cartridges and it refuses to do anything. I have tried switch off, rebooting, removing all the cartridges and replacing them but it keeps coming up with same message and refuses to print. Is this just Epson's way of ensuring I must now use their original (expensive!) cartridges or is there some way round this? Any suggestions gratefully accepted.

drawflush

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Hey, I have a workforce 610(615) and I essentially have the same problem. I have used non-oem cartridges which seemed to work fine for a while and then they stopped being recognized, I had the printer replaced from epson, then even tried a DIFFERENT non oem cartridge. Then I ran into a problem where it was giving me the error of nozzle check on certain colors. I tried swapping back to original cartridges and still ran into the same issues. Tried resetting the software, rebooting, etc all that and then it was still doing it with the originals!!! Anyways, i tried doing a clean head 3 times and that seemed to temporarily fix it, but it keeps coming back....

am I missing something? Are these non-oem cartridges just not worth it? Is there something I should be doing or looking for?

mharris127

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I know the newer Epsons are meant to reject non OEM carts. They even went so far as to file a patent lawsuit against the non OEM makers -- and won! I would probably buy a Brother or an older Cannon printer, as for the Cannon you can find several threads that tell the models to look for. However, some of the newer Cannons have chips to prevent non OEM use as well. Therefore to save trouble and hair-pulling I would just buy a Brother as long as you can live with 4-6ppm and have space for a copier type printer. I have the MFC-295CN, the MFC-290C is the same printer minus the networking capabilities. I have also heard good about their higher-line models such as the MFC-5490, 5890 and the 6000 series printers. You can find my model printer about twice a month at www.circuitcity.com for $69.99 and the higher line models starting at $99.99 (also sporadically at least twice a month). The regular price is $99.99 for the one I use. You can buy G&G ink carts LC-61 at $24 shipped for eight (two of each color) or $3.99 each plus S&H at www.eforcity.com. For those with the 6000 series, LC-65 was $4.99 each plus S&H.

pet_henry

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I purchased an Epson Workforce 610 last December and I bought another one last Spring. I like them very much. I use them mostly for black printing/copying, not for photos or art. They are very fast for inkjets, especially for the price. You can get them for about $60 now.

I bought a set of 3rd party refillable cartridges from Precision Colors, and then I bought another set for my second printer from inkproducts.com. I use the second printer quite heavily - about 30 copies per day - and I have to refill the black cartridge about every 2 weeks. Occasionally I get an error message: "The printer doesn't recognize the ink cartridges." This is a signal the printer thinks the cartridges are empty. Go through the process for replacing the cartridges. Remove the cartridges and inspect them. Fill if necessary and then replace them, and continue with the process to allow the printer to prime the ink lines.

Occasionally I get this error message even if I know there is ink in the cartridge. In this case, go through the process of cartridge replacement but just remove and reinsert the cartridge. This fools the printer into thinking the cartridge is full.

Peter