Epson Artisan 837 does not recognize ink cartridges

Patric "Butch" Amarando

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson Artisan 837
Hello all! I am new to this forum, and am looking for help. I have 2 Epson Artisan 837 Inkjet printer. I will post my second problem in another post.
I purchased a third party head cleaning kit, as I notice that print quality was degraded. It was an easy straight forward thing to do, so I thought. After putting things back together, the printer started giving error that it didn't recognize the cartridges. II even purchased new genuine Epson cartridges, and no luck. It's weird, but below is the scenario of what is happening.

I removed the power, took out all 6 color cartridges, and proceeded to reload them one at a time. This is what I found, and what happens all of the time.

If I install the far left cartridge (only) Upon power up, the printer sees this cartridge and flags that the others are not recognized (because they are not present).

If I install the next cartridge, upon power up the printer sees these 2 cartridges and flags that the others are not recognized (since they are not there).

If I install the next cartridge, upon power up the printer sees these 3 cartridges and flags that the others are not recognized (since they are not there).

If I install the next cartridge, upon power up the printer sees these 4 cartridges and flags that the others are not recognized (since they are not there).

If I install the next cartridge, upon power up the printer sees these 5 cartridges and flags that the 6th and final cartridge is not recognized (since it is not there there).

With all 6 cartridges installed, upon power up the printer does not recognize all 6 of them.

I have tried this scenario, starting from the right end, and working left with the same problem.

Countless unplugging, plugging back in with power, repeating all of the above many times yields the same results.

The bottom line is that with these 6 cartridges installed before head cleaning, the printer functioned correctly. After the head cleaning, this problem occurred. I even tried installing a brand new set of cartridges, and still the same problem. Can you shed any wisdom on this problem for me? Please keep in mind that I am a technically skilled electronics technician, and know what I am doing

Thanks in advance,
Patric J. Amarando
Edited by Moderator

turbguy

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i960, Canon i9900
I have an Artisan 800 running with a CISS. The carts have push-button reset chips. Many times, I get a "cart not recognized" error. What I do is open the unit, push down on all the carts (to slightly "wipe" the contacts), close the cover, and it works. YMMV.

Patric "Butch" Amarando

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson Artisan 837
Thanks for the input. I have tried to wipe contacts several times on all cartridges, with no luck. I've even used contact cleaner on the cartridge chip itself, and the contacts in the printer. If you read the scenario again, the printer does, and does not recognize the cartridges. It's a strange situation that started happening after I cleaned the print head. I think that there is something else going on that is triggering that error message.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Try moving the print head to the middle and then remove the power plug and the USB cable, then remove all the carts, wait 5 minutes and put them back in again but leave the printer off for about 15 minutes then put in the USB, power cable and turn on the printer once again.

Anything is worth a try if it works..;)

Patric "Butch" Amarando

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson Artisan 837
Try moving the print head to the middle and then remove the power plug and the USB cable, then remove all the carts, wait 5 minutes and put them back in again but leave the printer off for about 15 minutes then put in the USB, power cable and turn on the printer once again.

Anything is worth a try if it works..;)
Hello Hat!
Thanks for the input. I've tried what you suggest, with no luck. I even tried your suggestion on another Artisan 837 that I have that displays "A printer error has occurred ....... " Again, no luck!
Butch

Patric "Butch" Amarando

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson Artisan 837
Does anyone know where I can get my hands on an Artisan 837 Service Manual?

rwvand

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson Artisan 700, HP3500CP
I have the same error issue with my Artisan 700, it sees every cartridge if on is missing but as soon as the 6th is added it sees none. Did you ever find a solution

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
the mentioned head cleaning kit - what was it - a set of cartridges with a cleaner ?
Your problem is reported as well once in a while in other forums without any clear, good and simple solution. How do you change the cartridges - via any button on the printer or via the status monitor on the computer ? Please try and start the change cycle via the driver, if there is a function button to replace cartrides on the utility tab, or via the status monitor and follow the notifications, and don't change all at once. Did you happen to get a firmware update, the automatic one, recently ?

You probably would need the maintenance software to make something like a factory reset if nothing else helps, such routines are available at 2manuals.com and other places.

Last edited: