Epson Artisan 810 does not recognize CISS

YangStar

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I just bought a CISS from Amazon, but when I went to install it in my Epson Artisan 810 printer, an error pops up that says that it cannot recognize the cartridges. What can I do to make it work? Is there something wrong with the chip that I need to reset? Should I contact the vendor to exchange the product?

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
I'd definitely recommend talking to your vendor... It sounds like you have either:

1. An Artisan 800 chipped kit

OR

2. A new production run of the 810 with an updated firmware in the printer which has been tweaked to ignore the original chip created for that model.

Either way your vendor is the first person to contact to resolve the problem.

Leonardjohn

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
To many to list
Websnail is right, contact your vendor.

or

First check that the cartridges are seated correctly.

Press each cartridge down, make sure the tabs at the end of the cartridge are holding the cartridge down securely in place.

There are two versions made for the Artisan. the combo or multi-chip.

The combo version, has a single circuit board with a push button to reset the ink level when the printer issues a cartridge warning message.

This version is the most critical on alignment. Just think of all the contacts of six cartridges making good contact simultaneously.

I would say you have a chip alignment issue or a bad chip or chips.

Good luck
LJH

kgvickers

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
LJH:

Off thread (sorry) but do you know if there is a waste ink reset utility for the 810 yet?

Leonardjohn

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
To many to list
Websnail is the expert on waste tanks and utilities. kgvickers

johnwarfin

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Leonardjohn said:
The combo version, has a single circuit board with a push button to reset the ink level when the printer issues a cartridge warning message.

This version is the most critical on alignment. Just think of all the contacts of six cartridges making good contact simultaneously.

I would say you have a chip alignment issue or a bad chip or chips.
I've had this happen twice out of 30 or so installations. Usually warning was only for one cart. Wiggling the assembly and holding the button down several times fixed it.

My theory is something else is up because more than one cart is failing. As was mentioned firmware change is most likely. I've been lucky in this area so far but had lots of trouble "back in the old days".

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
kgvickers said:
LJH:

Off thread (sorry) but do you know if there is a waste ink reset utility for the 810 yet?
I've seen one somewhere if you can email me with an email to reach you on I'll locate and send it your way.

Stella Luo

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
you may power off your printer again. sometime it need to power off to reset the chips

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Powering off won't make any difference... The newer chips require a physical disconnection from the printer powered on or off before they will reset.

As I said before you will most likely find these chips are an older version that the newer firmware happily recognises as invalid.

Leonardjohn

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
To many to list
websnail said:
Powering off won't make any difference... The newer chips require a physical disconnection from the printer powered on or off before they will reset..
Actual that is not the case with our chips, multi-chip is never removed, when the printer issues a warning you merely turn the power off to reset.

LJH