Epson Artisan 725 ink blotches

ricekakeluver

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Hello. I have a question about my Epson Artisan 725. Whenever I try and print full pages or just pages full of ink. I will sometimes get these black ink splotches on the top or bottom of the page. I was wondering if anyone knew what this was caused by and how I might go about fixing this. Thank you. :]

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
Are you using OEM inks and Carts? I have a 725 and I occassionally get that put it's rare.

If it is on the front and rear edges it could be due to the head stricking the paper.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
ricekakeluver said:
Hello. I have a question about my Epson Artisan 725. Whenever I try and print full pages or just pages full of ink. I will sometimes get these black ink splotches on the top or bottom of the page. I was wondering if anyone knew what this was caused by and how I might go about fixing this. Thank you. :]
I have heard of this problem before with that printer and it was put down as
some sort of design fault in software/hardware I dont know which sorry..:(

ricekakeluver

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
jtoolman said:
Are you using OEM inks and Carts? I have a 725 and I occassionally get that put it's rare.

If it is on the front and rear edges it could be due to the head stricking the paper.
yes i'm using OEM inks and Carts.
would you have any idea to go about fixing this? like should i contact epson or something?
I bought the printer on 7/19/11 so it isn't that old.

by the way thank you for the replies. :]

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
When the printer is working, the printhead goes across the paper. The paper must be held down for printing and there are rollers to the front and rear of the printhead that are supposed to hold down the paper and keep it flat while the printhead does its thing back and forth.
The Artisan printhead has a lot of nozzles to achieve its speed and this as well as its low profile makes for a wide printhead thus the space or gap between the front and rear rollers is wide.
The problem comes when only one set of rollers is holding the paper down and the printhead starts priniting. If the paper has a curl or the rollers to the rear or front causes the paper to curl up, then the paper may touch the printhead underside and thus the smearing. This will happen on the leading and/or trailing edge.
You can try the following:
Try turning the paper over in the feeder tray, this might possibly help. The paper curl could be different on the other side.
Increase the print margins so that the printer only prints while the paper is being held on both sides.
Try a different brand of paper.

Sometimes if you are putting down a lot of ink on the paper, the wetness of the paper will also distort the paper and cause this. If you get a lot of smearing with a particular brand of paper, be careful if you decide to use it in duplex mode. Because of the curl, the trajectory of the paper inside the printer goes off and paper jams will occur. For this reason I rarely use duplex mode on this printer.

ricekakeluver

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
mikling said:
When the printer is working, the printhead goes across the paper. The paper must be held down for printing and there are rollers to the front and rear of the printhead that are supposed to hold down the paper and keep it flat while the printhead does its thing back and forth.
The Artisan printhead has a lot of nozzles to achieve its speed and this as well as its low profile makes for a wide printhead thus the space or gap between the front and rear rollers is wide.
The problem comes when only one set of rollers is holding the paper down and the printhead starts priniting. If the paper has a curl or the rollers to the rear or front causes the paper to curl up, then the paper may touch the printhead underside and thus the smearing. This will happen on the leading and/or trailing edge.
You can try the following:
Try turning the paper over in the feeder tray, this might possibly help. The paper curl could be different on the other side.
Increase the print margins so that the printer only prints while the paper is being held on both sides.
Try a different brand of paper.

Sometimes if you are putting down a lot of ink on the paper, the wetness of the paper will also distort the paper and cause this. If you get a lot of smearing with a particular brand of paper, be careful if you decide to use it in duplex mode. Because of the curl, the trajectory of the paper inside the printer goes off and paper jams will occur. For this reason I rarely use duplex mode on this printer.
Thank you this explains a lot! :]

OutOFtheinkwell

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
I have both an Artisan 725 and an Epson 1400 and no blotches so far. When I got the Artisan I saw a lot of complaints about the paper feed on this model malfunctioning but have had very little trouble with mine so far. It is the type of paper tray that you pull completely out to fill and I can see that it's very important that you make sure the paper is not loose in the tray, and I suspect that is the key to good results. Do any of you know if the heads are the same in the 1400 and the 725? They both use the same ink and both have six colors. Thanks! OutOFtheinkwell!