Epson 837 - black ink blobs appearing on prints

artprint1

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Thanks for reading my question.

I just bought a brand new Epson 837.

When I print on regular paper, it prints clean 99% of the time.

When I print on canvas paper, I get these "black ink blobs" ("smudges") appearing. Usually on the top right of the page. But often in other locations. Usually at or near the border.

This happens whether I use borderless or non-borderless printing. But when selecting the "borderless printing" option, the driver warns me:
"Print quality in the top and bottom areas may decline or the area may be smeared depending on the media."

Another user seems to have reported this problem here:

"Printed a few black spots on paper, however this problem went away after subsequent uses."
http://www.amazon.com/review/R17PKLYO7RG45C

It appears that, when the printer loads the canvas paper, the medium is "scraping" the head where the black ink comes out. And this is leaving residual bleed on the page...?

This phenemonen has happened ever since the very first print.

Ideas?

Thanks!

:idunno :caf

artprint1

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
update
selecting the "think paper and envelopes" checkbox in the driver seems to have decreased ink smudging slightly. though not completely.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
The only suggestion I can make to you is to send the printer back and get a Canon simply because
Canon printers dont have that problem unless the paper has a severe curl in it..:(

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
Because the 837 has its media as front feed the paper/media has to bend through a much greater distance and angle than the old top feed printers (eg: P50) so it's likely your media is springing up further than normal 80/90gsm paper and head striking as noted earlier.

Chances are low you'll ever remove the issue on this printer as a result...