Epson 7600 dampers

locout

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson Stylus Pro 7600
Hello, This might sound like a pretty stupid question, but I'm replacing my old dampers and I have a question. I took one damper out and noticed a spike in the print head. Does the nozzle that goes into the print head have a seal on it? Should I remove the seal before inserting it? I'll need 7 dampers and don't want to make a mistake. Many thanks, Lilla

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
I swapped the dampers on my Pro7600 longer time ago and don't remember details anymore; but it should be easy - once you have taken out a damper you can compare it with the new one if there are any parts to remove, I don't think so but better have a look for it. I would assume that the spike just punctures the film at the damper outlet.

locout

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson Stylus Pro 7600
Thank you for your response. Our problem goes further than dampers I think. For over a month we haven't been able to get a good nozzle check. We've head cleaned, power cleaned and initial filled and still no results. We finally changed the dampers and we were getting pretty good nozzle checks. We thought we had it. But, in our yellow we were seeing black ink. Someone suggested our dampers weren't seated right. So we went back in and made sure they were all seated correctly. We then did a nozzle check and now we're getting a blank page. We've read many thoughts on the matter and if you have anything to share, we'd appreciate it very much. We are artists and don't use the printer often, but we've always seemed to revive it. Many thanks, Lilla

locout

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson Stylus Pro 7600
I forgot to mention, there were a few air bubbles in the lines after re-seating the dampers so I ran an initial fill. The bubbles never moved during the process which gave me the indication that ink wasn’t being pushed through the head. Also, it didn’t look like there was any appreciable use of ink with the initial fill.

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
You should in this case have a look to the overall cleaning process, it is different to the current practice that the printhead is moved onto the cleaning unit and underpressure is applied from underneath from a pump.
When you start a cleaning via the driver on a Pro7600 the head moves to the right and a gear engages with a tooth wheel what you can see with the top cover off , and there is a tube pump driven by the gear , and the printhead is spitting into a funnel which leads to the waste ink box. You can hold a piece of paper between the nozzle plate and the funnel and check whether all colors are active and spraying onto the paper. That should be the starting point to observe which ink channels are working or not.
The Pro7600 is a very old printer, and you should consider if more complex repair actions still make sense.

locout

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson Stylus Pro 7600
We'll give it a try and get back to you.

locout

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson Stylus Pro 7600
We really don't know what is going on, but this morning we did another power clean and a head clean and it's giving us decent nozzle checks all the sudden. We'll work with it some more and see if we continue to get good readings. We appreciate your help very much.

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
I keep my fingers crossed that your printer stays alive; I'm just printing a small image now and then - about twice a week - to keep my Pro7600 going if I don't have other print jobs to do.

locout

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson Stylus Pro 7600
Again, thank you so much. If we get this going, we too will run it weekly. We're still not getting perfect nozzle checks on the black and light black. We'll work on it again tomorrow and see what happens.