Epson 1400 ink consumption and greyscale questions

zeitguy

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
I estimate I am using the equivalent of one $20 ink cartridge for about 5 13x19 prints. Is that the standard for this printer? (I am averaging all ink consumption.) It seems outrageous to me, as I used to have a 1200 and it would print about 40 13x19s for about $30 worth of ink -- or more, depending on paper surface.

Otherwise, is there some trick to resetting some parameter on the driver or firmware to conserve ink? I get the feeling the printer is flooding my glossy photo paper with more ink than is necessary, although the quality of the prints is pretty good.

My second question is about greyscale printing. I have tried both the greyscale option, and the photo enhance choices of neutral, warm or cool grey. None of them give me consistent black white and grey prints. There is almost always a strong color cast to them, and the ink consumption of magenta and cyan proceeds at an alarming rate. I have a friend with a 1400 who gets consistent black and white prints similar to the photo r200 I used before, which was very reliable. What gives? Does anyone else have this problem? Anyone solve it?

Thanks for any help.

johnpeeay

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Search this forum or the Printers and printing forum at DPreview.com you will find methods which force the 1400 to use only the black ink for black/white printing.