Epson 1400/2400: CISS using quality aftermarket pigment ink

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon, Brother, HP, Ricoh etc.
I tried to run PGI-40 allready pigmented head like you say on non diluted HP pigment ink.

The asnswer is it will work but works better with diluted ink, so perhaps Canon pigment ink at least that they use in PGI-40 is not very pigment.

Like I said I used "In i965 i used it with dilution ration 30% pigment ink and 70% dye ink."
i965 has 5pl nozzles as I know somewhere it is mentioned it uses (6 / 2pl). So the smaller ones are for photo ink?

So it works not only in pigment head

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
You mean you did use pigmented ink in a BCI-6 photoblack cartridge ? There are some HP-compatible pigment ink available for the HP 38 photocartridges including pigment photomagenta and photocyan and I want to try a mix of those inks on a Canon IP6600D printhead and see if this works, eventually after diluting it with dye ink.

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon, Brother, HP, Ricoh etc.
I did since nozzles that fire black are not 2pl ones I taught I can try and see if it works

As I said there is hope on using it in photo cartridges too but one must dilute it further like 10% pigment I guess.

A device to measure ink viscosity would help to do the right mix but it costs allot too:

http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=195

lin

Print Addict
Reaction score
pharmacist said:
Lin,

The Canon MX7600 does not print large format. Then I could choose for the Pr 9500 which uses the same PGI-9 pigment ink cartridges. The problem is that Canon printers are not so CISS-friendly due to the cartrdiges and installing a CISS on a R2400 printer is much more likely to work flawlessly. And you can redirect the waste ink to an external waste basket with a simple operation.
Hi pharmacist, Canon Pro 9500 uses 10 cartridges while MX7600 uses six. If you are looking for printer that can use pigment ink and able to print A3 and which you consider epson to be CISS-friendly. Then the epson model which you were discussing maybe indeed a better choice. I don't know your usage pattern and the cost of the printer in your area. When choosing a printer very often, a user will consider the various aspect. It may depends on the user usage, usage pattern, budget the user is willing and able to spend and if the user wants to use compatible 3rd party ink, then the user will also consider the accessibility to & cost of the compatible 3rd party ink & the miscellaneous, that he/she had.

I thought you were looking for one that uses pigment ink and can print on larger piece of paper other than the normal A4 & is CISS friendly according to your reply. But I saw in your another thread that you were attempting to use compatible ink that is similar to vivera or Lucia pigment ink on non large format canon 6600D printer where the colored cartridges primilarly uses dye. Since you were considering on the Epson model which you feel could give you the features you were looking for, I am just wonder why you went all the way to experiment on pigment ink on Canon 6600D.